Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Shipping Method by Product Category

redbone

Total Posts:  13

I would like to offer specific shipment methods for certain products or product categories. for example, we offer Free Shipping on certain types of items in our store.  if a customer we’re to select the products within this category, i would like the default shipping method to be “free shipping”. for other products, I would let the customers choose their prefered method. one question i would have is what would happen if the customer ordered one item that has free shipping and another that doesn’t. any suggestions or thoughts?

thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

rosemarydesigns

Total Posts:  15

Hello,

I needed to do this for a store that ships a lot of things, but wanted free shipping on gift certificates.

I set up a shopping cart rule under the promotions in the admin that goes like this:

Rule info: Filled in name of rule, set status to ‘active’ and left everything else blank.
Conditions: did nothing (experiments with doing something here did not yield the results I wanted)
Actions: did nothing EXCEPT: set Free shipping to ‘for matching items only’ AND
For ‘Apply the rule only to cart items matching the following conditions (leave blank for all items)’ set: If ALL of these conditions are TRUE : Category is 14, 22

This works to apply free shipping only to items from those categories HOWEVER,
When someone enters a zip code and asks for a quote in the Estimate Shipping and Tax component of the cart, it gives them an option to get free shipping on the entire order!! So, this seems to work, but not completely.

Hope this helps a little and maybe someone will post a way to improve the way I’ve set up this cart rule.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rosemarydesigns

Total Posts:  15

Check this tutorial (http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/14141/).

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community