Magento Forum

Limitted space for submenu

zadpro

Total Posts:  247
FL, USA

Hi,
I have a large list of category and the current category menu setup is not good. I have 78 categories that I like to add to my store and there is no way I can group them together. So, If I setup all of the as a first level category, the horizontal menu will appear in multiple lines. If I add all 73 to a level 2 of one category, they will make a very long list of items that is not user friendly.
Suggestion:
1- There should be a feature that if the width of level one menu doesn’t fit the template width, then it should only show few items and the last item should say “More...” and when you roll over that item it shows the other level 1 items.
2- For sub menus, it should have a feature to maximize number of items in one column, and when it reaches that number, it should add another column to the right or left of the first column. This way you will have multiple column sub menu.

I wonder if Magento team can implement this type of feature or maybe they are already working on it smile

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

iblastoff

Total Posts:  252

sounds like you need to rethink your navigation/design/implementation if you have 78 categories that apparently can not be grouped together at all. if thats really the case, why not just have your category list in a vertical format down a column or something?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bill007

Total Posts:  179
New Zealand

Yeah I agree that sounds over the top
if you have to have 78 categories you must go for a vertical Navigation

this is a great way to sort that problem

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/720/

I have Implemented this and it works great

http://www.greenstone.maori.nz for my example

Bill007 http://www.euphorish.com web development blog

Magento Community
Magento Community

NueBe

Total Posts:  65
Tres Cantos - Madrid - Spain

Is useful have 78 categories? i think the client have to spend too many time searching in the menu. What kind of shop d you need ?

I think a page must have friendly interface and need have a high usability.

Magento Community
Magento Community

zadpro

Total Posts:  247
FL, USA

I know that having 78 categories is not good, but there is no way I can group them together. This is for a huge selection (over 8,000) marine electronic products.
I know that having a horizontal menu is not goodfor this puurpose, but even a vertical menu won’t tbe user friendly. There are two reasons that I can’t group these categories is that I will be using a import/export from my drop shipper to upload all products and they have it isetup this way. With the current features of Magento, I’m not even using the category feature and I’m planning to have an attribute called Category and setup my vertical menu as an attribute. This way I will it under a vertical menu, and also I can use the import/export feature to categorize them. current version of Magento doens’t support import/export for categories, or may be I don’t know....

Please let me know if anyone has any better suggestion?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bill007

Total Posts:  179
New Zealand

Hey Doc

you Only have two options vertical or Horizontal
I personally think vertical you can control the vertical Nav fonts and li items by by CSS

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community