Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

PayPal Failed IPN Notices - Updating orders another way? 

LewisSellers

Total Posts:  33

Hi All,

I have a client who’s running two stores (one on Magento and one on another system) which both feed into the same PayPal account.

Since we setup magento with PayPal IPN, the orders have been updating to processing, but whenever they receive an order on their other website, they receive an email saying:

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). Instant Payment Notifications sent to the following URL(s) are failing:

http://www.theirdomain.co.uk/paypal/standard/ipn/

If you do not recognize this URL, you may be using a service provider that is using IPN on your behalf. Please contact your service provider with the above information. If this problem continues, IPNs may be disabled for your account.

Now, I know that it’s doing it because it’s sending the notification back to their magento store when they take a payment on their other site, but I’m at a bit of a loss how to fix this.

Is there a way to get orders to update to processing without PayPal IPN? We’ve had this issue with another customer before where PayPal eventually disables paypal IPN due to too many failures, so hopefully we can fix this before it happens?

Kind regards,
Lewis

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

antonyjsmith

Total Posts:  2

Maybe the paypal IPN can only support one URL?Y ou can actually disabled IPN’s yourself in:

In the Profile > Selling Preferences > Instant payment notifications

Or specify the URL you want them to be sent, but like I say, you can only enter a single URL.

Sorry I can’t be of more help but I’ve had some weird issues with the IPN’s.

Antony.

Magento Community
Magento Community

LewisSellers

antonyjsmith - 08 April 2013 11:19 PM

Maybe the paypal IPN can only support one URL?Y ou can actually disabled IPN’s yourself in:

In the Profile > Selling Preferences > Instant payment notifications

Or specify the URL you want them to be sent, but like I say, you can only enter a single URL.

Sorry I can’t be of more help but I’ve had some weird issues with the IPN’s.

Antony.

Hi Antony,

Thanks for the message.

Yeah, I can disable IPN but then it fails to update the orders to processing. All I need is for Magento to automatically update the orders to processing once payment is received. Unfortunately, I can only do this by IPN (unless there’s another way?). The problem I have is that with IPN enabled, it fails every now and again because it’s receiving other payments from other websites which are trying to update orders on this site that don’t exist, so eventually, PayPal turns of the IPN (even though technically it’s working fine).

Any tips would be great?

Cheers,
Lewis

Magento Community
Magento Community

LewisSellers

Hi All,

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Surely our stores aren’t the only ones where people are linking a PayPal accounts that’s used in more than one place?

Any help would be ace!
Lewis

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

Sounds like your PayPal account only talks to a single Magento IPN URL.

You probably need another PayPal account for the second website so it can talk to that unique Magento IPN URL on that system.

Otherwise transactions on the second system cause your current PayPal account to send the IPN response back to the first system, whereupon, it generates a “WTF, I have no such transaction” and you therefore have a communication failure.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jerbourg

Total Posts:  10

We have the same problem, it would be very nice if magento offered a fix for this.  I would have though they would have wanted Customers to run both Magento & Ebay stores - and use PayPal after all they are all owned by the same Company!

Anyway - after a month of waiting here is what I received from PayPal.

Thank you for contacting PayPal Merchant Technical Support.

PayPal does not provide support for custom scripting, but we do have some “as-is” code samples. More than likely, you should just modify your current script to handle only Magento orders, and provide basic validation for all other orders. This is not something PayPal can assist with, and may require you to hire a developer.

IPN code samples
https://github.com/paypal/ipn-code-samples

I hope the information that I provided you was helpful. If you have any further questions or concerns about integrating PayPal with your web site, please feel free to reply to this email directly, contact us by phone at: 1-800-852-1973, or go to https://ppmts.custhelp.com/.

So there we are - we just need to modify our script! or HIRE a developer to do it for us - simples!

Any developers out there that can help with the script modification?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community