Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Layout Help! 

tylerflint

Total Posts:  3

I am trying to do what everybody should be trying to do… create custom content. Should be a sinch, thats what I thought, well I guess I just dont get it.

Sample scenario:

Lets say I want to create a custom block that appears in the main center column that contains the following html:

<div class="test">
<h1>Hello World!</h1>
</div>

I have followed the design guide with no success. Yes, I can alter the design css, but that just doesnt cut it. Perhaps, if someone would be so kind as to help me with this simple example I could at least understand where simple custom blocks could fit into place.

thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

tylerflint

Total Posts:  3

Ok, I am going to vent a little before I throw “Magento” into the trash with all the other would’ve been great ideas. First off, where is the documentation? A program this complex could not work if there wasnt pre-diagramming involved(aka UML). That being said, since this is an open source project, why not release the documentation along with it? Also, I have searched the forums constantly for the last 2 days and I have seen the same confusion that I am experiencing all over! Everybody has a question then they get referred to the almighty “design guide”. Pathetic. If there was a real programmer here then he would see how many times he was having to respond over and over and over to the same confusion, and then fix it so he didnt have to anymore! In my experience, Magento is a great program. Or wait...do I just say that because it is so complex and confusing that it must be great and I must be dumb? Ok...maybe when somebody can step up to the plate and explain what goes on inside Magento and explain foremost how someone can use it without spending an entire week reverse engineering it, then I will come to a conclusion.

Now that I have vented I will be moving on…

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Sorry to hear of your frustration. Hope to have you have back at some point in the future.

Good luck smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

jackmayhoffer

Total Posts:  1

Roy -

That’s a little passive aggressive, wouldn’t you say?

How ‘bout you at least point this person in the right direction? You are a TEAM MEMBER.

How ‘bout we be a TEAM PLAYER?

Are you serious?

-Jack

OsCommerce: it’s just easier

Magento Community
Magento Community

turnon

Total Posts:  129

I can understand your agressive tone.
You have always the possibility to get a pro community memeber (i sign up this week) and get more support. If you can not spend $ 200,-- you can not run your own business.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community