Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Should I wait for Magento 2 or Magento 1.8? 

philklc

Total Posts:  1

I have a heavily customized Magento 1.4 store built in 2010 that is long overdue for an upgrade. It uses a bonus points extension that is not compatible with Magento 1.6+ unless we hack it or buy another one.

We were told that Magento 2 would be out in late 2012. Then it got delayed to mid-2013. It’s April already and there isn’t even a beta release of Magento 2, and the last commit on the magento2 repo is one month old.
https://github.com/magento/magento2

The recent Magento Bugathon March 2013 is apparently for an upcoming Magento 1.8 release which is previously unheard of.
https://github.com/magento/bugathon_march_2013

Should I still wait for Magento 2? Or should I wait for Magento 1.8 before upgrading? Or should I upgrade to Magento 1.7 now and upgrade to 1.8 when it’s released? I already expect things will break when I upgrade to 1.7, but I have no idea on how many breaking changes there will be between 1.7 and 1.8.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Rich Cleverley

Total Posts:  285

I wouldn’t upgrade directly to 1.7 or attempt to upgrade from 1.4 to Magento2 when it comes out as you will more than likely have a nightmare of a time doing either.  The best way forward would be to start sorting incremental upgrades (so 1.4-1.5, 1.5-1.6 etc) and get yourself as far up to date as possible before the launch of either Magento 1.8 or Magento2.

For each incremental upgrade, make sure you test it on a test site with similar levels of data to your live site before committing anything to the live site.  Upgrading a live site is scary at the best of times so you don;t want the extra headache of trying to upgrade multiple versions in one go.

Magento Community
Magento Community

damon1977

Total Posts:  3

Do you know when Magento 2 will be release beta version?
Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rich Cleverley

I believe its planned for the 3rd quarter of this year so a little while yet.  It’s certainly looking well worth the wait from what I’ve seen so far though.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Appmerce
Guru

Total Posts:  376
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Have you seen Magento 2? It is horrible.
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/345039/

I wouldn’t upgrade to 2 at all. Just keep 1.7.x working for as long as possible!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rich Cleverley

Many people like the new UI in Magento2 but I suppose it’s all down to personal preference.  As to other comments in your linked post about something not working, well it is still in active development and a long way from being a stable release so it can only be expected that things are not working yet.  Rather unfair to start slating it before even an alpha release has been made available I think.

Magento Community
Magento Community

indpurvesh

Total Posts:  9

As I have seen magento2 folder structure i don’t think you can upgrade magento2 easily.

It my personal opinion but i think magento2 might not be upgradable.

Magento Community
Magento Community

spacetest

I think 1.4 to 1.5 changed the folder structure too. You’ll most likely need to upgrade to the latest pre 2.0 version prior to making the switch to 2.0. Hence why Rich’s advice is probably right on the money.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rich Cleverley

It’s going to be more a migration to rather than a straightforward upgrade, but like I said before it’s definitely worth trying to make sure you are as up to date as possible before it is released (it’s worth being as up to date as possible anyway!).

Magento Community
Magento Community

hdtc

Total Posts:  2

thank you very musk for shera

Magento Community
Magento Community

ironlion37

Total Posts:  13

Hi,

I’m just getting into Magento - just built a 1.7.2 site for a client and have another client that wants to get on board asap. Does anyone know how long Magento will support 1.x versions of its software?

Magento 2 will require a breaking in period - bug fixes, time for new templates to come out, etc.. (which I’ve learned it’s better not to be a part of in terms of my personal time - that might sound selfish but it can significantly impact how long it takes to build a site).

So in a way, this seems like a bad time to be building new Magento sites for clients. I’m wondering how much value can I provide a client if I build them 1.8 site before they have to migrate (significant expense)? Will a 1.x site be supported for the next year? Shorter? Longer?

Thanks for any info/thoughts smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

mikomidev

Oh, man that’s a good question there.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nuvair

Total Posts:  1

You know it’s a great question when the mods stop responding lol.

Magento Community
Magento Community

serpyre
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  771

No, it will be a long wait so go with 1.8. eBay are trying to push Magento in to Medium Enterprise ($10-50million revenue companies), however the platform is designed for Micro Enterprise (sub $2million with CE) and Small Enterprise ($2-10million with EE). They are fighting the platform hence the lack or support and releases, even if they released 2.0 you would have a 9-12mth timeframe before it was stable enough for production.

The interesting part is that we license technology from Large Enterprise consultants ($50million revenue and above companies) for use with Magento to make it in to a true Medium Enterprise international eCommerce solution (dynamic realtime markup pricing, worldwide country based with only 5stores and local currency checkout, dynamic COGS calculations, millions products, auto-scaling web servers). This is what eBay want to achieve with Magento to compete against Hybris/ATG/WebSphere/Demandware, unfortunately the core platform does not allow it. Large Enterprise consultants for you, making Magento CE/EE work like Net-A-Porter / Saks, they refuse to become a Magento Partner to guard their technology and intellectual property against ‘appropriation’.

1.8 will serve you for 2-3years before you need to think about an upgrade, and many things may change between now and then. Not ideal if you are a consultancy, but it is the correct approach for most end-clients to achieve a measurable return on investment.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sbwcws

Total Posts:  2

Just out of curiosity - is Magento 2.0 DEAD - as I’ve been hearing since early 2013, so any update on this .

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

taskdivision

Total Posts:  4

sbwcws - 30 December 2013 09:00 PM

Just out of curiosity - is Magento 2.0 DEAD - as I’ve been hearing since early 2013, so any update on this .

Thanks.

It’s pretty easy to see what is going on with Magento 2 just look at the github
https://github.com/magento/magento2

Even though they haven’t set a release date most of the more popular developers are estimating we won’t see anything until near production level until 2015.  Seems to be the general take on the current development process. Personally I have absolutely no idea when it would be ready, just repeating what I have read on other developer blogs that are way more familiar with the development.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community