Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Can Magento let me create many store fronts from one database

emeraldco

Total Posts:  29

OK this is what I am looking to do.  I want to create a master Magento install.  In this install I will create a cart and all of my items. 

Then I will create many more carts, they will have the same exact items, and when I change things in the master carts all of these sub carts will also change.  I will let all of my resellers have their own cart, they can change their own theme and logos and contact info and such.  They advertise their site and make sales.  When an order is placed I get the info and the money. 

I was told that magento does this but I don’t see it on the feature list.  Is this what they mean by multistore?  It does not look like it.  If it does do this how do I set it all up?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

Yes and no. Yes, the cart and catalogue part work as you want. But you can’t give the resellers logins and manage just their own shop. Magento is a single-merchant one-or-multi-shop solution. Not a many-merchant-many-shops solution.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Damian Culotta
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  878
Argentina

@emeraldco

You’re talking about a multitenant system. Magento out-of-the-box can’t work in multitenant mode.

--
Wikipedia’s Multitenant definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multitenancy

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community