Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Is there a reference for syntax? 

stereotomy

Total Posts:  28

Firstly, many thanks for this great piece of software. Currently using OscMax, magento seems to be ages beyond that.

Okay here’s my question. is there a reference for all syntax?

For instance, I read in the forum that to show a product in the home page you should put a code like this:

{{block type="catalog/product_list" category_id="3"}}

So, without the post, there would be no chance to know this. On my account I will appreciate a lot if there is a complete code reference list.

thank you, and sorry for my probably inadequate english.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

JoshBelke

Total Posts:  64
NY, NY

Currently,
I am looking for the same answer.
Besides the Hint Tool is there a syntax reference file?

Magento Community
Magento Community

joshuabelke

Total Posts:  4
New York

stereotomy - 10 February 2008 03:35 PM

Firstly, many thanks for this great piece of software. Currently using OscMax, magento seems to be ages beyond that.

Okay here’s my question. is there a reference for all syntax?

For instance, I read in the forum that to show a product in the home page you should put a code like this:

{{block type="catalog/product_list" category_id="3"}}

So, without the post, there would be no chance to know this. On my account I will appreciate a lot if there is a complete code reference list.

thank you, and sorry for my probably inadequate english.

In short, there isn’t a reference for all the most used syntax’s, instead magento has released the doc’s that review the core and surrounding stack.

Rather than trying to memorize each individual call, (i find) its more important to understand the design patterns being utilized and the consistency of the framework.

in this case of the block / view rendering via frontcontroller with the following arguments.
/catalog/product/list/cateogry_id/3

its a ‘front controller’ design pattern.

becomes:
router / controller / action (method) / arguments (key attribute/value)

catalog = router
product = controller
list = action
category_id with a value of 3

where as
/catalog
would translate into:
/catalog/index/index
and would be in theory referencing the (default) indexAction();

Magento Community
Magento Community