Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
Description changed, but it will NOT go away from front end! 

AnnaM
Guru

Total Posts:  325
San Francisco

Heather, that is some great stuff.  I had never thought to correlate the html I was looking at with searching thru the css, like the p class="link-cart" etc This was a primer sorely needed and I thank you gretly for the time. Hopefully there are other rookies out there who may benefit from it also.  I see link-cart changes teh color of Add To Wishlist and add-to changes the color of Add To Compare.  I also used this technique to find how to change the color of the price.  I had never thought to correlate what was in that html shown in Firebug, with the css Duh. That has really helped a lot. 

Just out of curiosity in the price box code it has (not as a comment, but exclaim mark important ! important whats up with that? Makes me afraid to change it.

Thanks for opening a big door for me I see Ineed to start thinking along the lines of OOP, and classes etc. Just hadn’t sunk in.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

Total Posts:  325
San Francisco

ohminu - 12 February 2008 09:16 PM

Hello AnnaM-

Since the subject of ‘!important’ came up, I thought I’d pitch in my 2 cents. As much as ‘!important’ can rid you of a lotta headaches, remember to not make a habit of it. If your CSS can do without ‘!important’, then by all means, do it without. You’ll soon find what even a couple of ‘!important’ overrides can do to expedite your aging process.

Thanks ohminu. I shall heed your advice. I know very little about css as is obvious from my questions, but learning quicly, and now I have a very good book and will do some research on just what !important is.  I apprecate your 2 cents.  I have already learned tons in just the first two chapters that will help me understand boxes.css much better. smile) That makes me happy.  Though I know magento is alot more complex than just the basics, but it s a start!

Magento Community
Magento Community

hez

Total Posts:  103

Hey Ohminu,

Could you explain further about why not to use !important?  I’ve been using it a bit with Magento as, quite frankly, at points I just seemed to run out of options that didn’t involve adding more div’s.  For some reason I thought !important would be better but will go back and change that if it’s going to later be problematic.

Thanks,
Heather

Magento Community
Magento Community

iblastoff

Total Posts:  252

you shouldn’t use so many !importants because thats the wrong way to approach css. you want a proper cascade. throwing random important!’s on there may seem like a quick way to fix issues but if thats the approach you’re heading with, you might as well throw in <b> and <br> tags throughout your html as well.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tansau

Total Posts:  35
Heart of Dixie, USA

hez - 10 February 2008 05:21 PM

It is a bit tricky - but if you go into the Product section on the left side there is a drop down box (see image) - you need to have the store that you’re working on selected here - and then make your changes.

Wow! Thanks so much for this tip. This solved the exact problem I was running into. Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 2