Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Description changed, but it will NOT go away from front end! 

AnnaM
Guru

Total Posts:  325
San Francisco

This problem is really bafflinig.

http://www.epicurecookware.com/ruffoni-copper/opera

if you look at the saucepans at the bottom and it says “3 sizes to choose from” NOWHERE in my proudct setup does it say that, anywhere. It did originally, but I edited it to say Starting at....  Yet no matter what I do with cache in my borwser, even deleted cache in magento, it STILL says that. 

I used PhpMYAdmin to search the db for 3 sizes and it was there, under ID 15-which is that products ID.  How and why I don’t know, but it is.  I was thinking about editing it there but scared to mess with the db, though it is backed up nightly.  but the problem should be solvable via magento admin. I just cannot imagine why that original description is stickig and its really ticking me off!  >:(

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Bill007

Total Posts:  179
New Zealand

I dont want to seem repetitive

which shop where you in when you made the changes
Ive fallen for this heaps

regards Bill007 http://www.euphorish.com web Design and Graphics

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

Bill007 - 10 February 2008 02:54 PM

I dont want to seem repetitive

which shop where you in when you made the changes
Ive fallen for this heaps

regards Bill007 http://www.euphorish.com web Design and Graphics

II guess I am not sue, I don’t understnad that part at all, Englsihs Store, Deault store.  But when I look at my prouduct list, they all say English Store, and it has the new “Starting at...” in it. 
wish we could put screen prints here I will try attaching it.  You will see them at the top of this segment in the picture , the saucepans, clearly saying Starting at....  NOT 3 sizes to choose from.  There are no other instances of th suace pans that I know of. ITs a grouped product so 3 simple proeucts viwable ‘nowhere’ then you make the groupoed product.  see attach Thx

Image Attachments
Untitled-2.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bill007

New Zealand

Go admin

Catalog >> Manage Products select your product BY USING THE EDIT LINK

Now this is where you need to select the store in the left hand nav column select English store

OK the javascript warning

Now make you Changes and they should stick

What you will find every time is the Default Store is Default setting
so on you default store It probably looks how you want

If Not this option lets explore another

Bill007 http://www.euphorish.com web design

Magento Community
Magento Community

hez

Total Posts:  103

Hey Anna,

It is a bit tricky - but if you go into the Product section on the left side there is a drop down box (see image) - you need to have the store that you’re working on selected here - and then make your changes.

Think of it like this - when you create products you are creating a default version - when you click on the store to assign it on it copies all of those values from the default into the store.  If you want to change what appears in the store you have to go in and change the store record - not the default.

Took me ages to get a handle on that!

I imagine this is great if you have multiple stores - but it’s a bit obtuse for a single store (which I imagine will be most people)

Heather

Image Attachments
product_store.png

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bill007

New Zealand

We think Alike Hez there was 23 seconds between our posts

Nice one Hez and then there were 3 exactly what I think too

I have set up a German store last night its not straight forward and i don’t see the linguistics as yet
I think multiple langauge stores will be more popular then you think

I will try to post what I did some time it could be worth it Hez marketing products in Germany with a google adwords campaign to suite

Bill007

Magento Community
Magento Community

hez

Indeed Bill!

Interesting - I’m quite new to ecommerce so hadn’t really thought about the popularity of multi-language sites.  Would love to see what you’ve done when it’s up.

Heather
http://www.blasphemysbakery.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

Hmmm, well thank you both Bill and Heather, one thing or the other seems to have fixed it!  I stiall am a bit puzzled about the whole thing, but learned I need to pay more attention to this and just make sure English store is always selected I guess.  I guess its a good thing and helps appeal to multi language etc, but I will just have to get used to it. In any event, it appears fixed, and when I am more awake tomorrow I will look closer!  It might be the reason my group proudct Opera Llids, same page, is only showing one lid instaed of all 3 of them!

http://www.epicurecookware.com/ruffoni-copper/opera there you can see the FIX to the Saucepans Starting At… and how there is only one lid showing in the gruped produc for Lids. Chuckle, wild stuff. Got to admit this is a whole new humbling expreince to somebody who had designed many web sites! LOL Thanks both.

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

How do I change it to not say English Store and instead say Epicure Cookware. Heather I see you have the bakery name there.  That alone will probably help me if I can just see my site name instead of this english store jazz.

AND while we are on this page of my only 3 products, any idea how to change the over from black so it doesn’t disappear like it does? Heather you gave me the line to finally make the font white, now if we can change onOver to what I want which is not black, that would be cool. Meanwhile I think I need some sleep!  Burn out time…
this was the listing grid code with the change you gave me that worked. You’re forever commented in my css LOL

.listing-type-grid td { width:33%; text-align:left;}
.listing-type-grid .product-image { text-align:center; }
.listing-type-grid h5 a {color: #ffffff;}
/*HOORAY Heather comes thru with how to change the font color. Remember this*/

.listing-type-grid .add-to-compare {
display:block;
margin:5px 0;
background:url(../images/icon_add_to_compare.gif) no-repeat 0 50%;
padding-left:22px;
color:#ffffff;
font-weight:bold;
}

Magento Community
Magento Community

NueBe

Total Posts:  65
Tres Cantos - Madrid - Spain

.listing-type-grid h5 a:hover {color: #ffffff;}

Every link have 4 states: Link, hover, visited and active

Link is normal (a or a:link)
Hover is like mouse over (a:hover)
Visited is when you have visited (a:visited)
Active is on click (a:active)

You can use hover for many purposes like a div, a table or anything else ej
listing-type-grid .add-to-compare {}
listing-type-grid .add-to-compare:hover {}

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

NueBe - 11 February 2008 01:45 AM

.listing-type-grid h5 a:hover {color: #ffffff;}

Every link have 4 states: Link, hover, visited and active

Link is normal (a or a:link)
Hover is like mouse over (a:hover)
Visited is when you have visited (a:visited)
Active is on click (a:active)

You can use hover for many purposes like a div, a table or anything else ej
listing-type-grid .add-to-compare {}
listing-type-grid .add-to-compare:hover {}

Excellent, thanks. Thata the kind of stuff I need to see and have put it in my perm note as I learn CSS the hard way. I have a book on the way that Bill above recommended.  Im an old dog, who resisted CSS for years, didn’t want to spend the time dealing with learning it. But I guess its time to come into the 21st century.  Thanks for the reply.

Magento Community
Magento Community

hez

Hi Anna,

You’ll get there - and a books a great idea.  I’ve done a class in CSS and still fumble a bit but having a reference helps heaps.  Sometimes it can be a pain - but its benefits far outweigh the quirks.

To change the store name (which did help me immensely) - go to System/Config - Select the English Store from the drop-down, click ‘Edit Store View’ - change name and save.

Heather

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

hez - 11 February 2008 07:52 AM

Hi Anna,

You’ll get there - and a books a great idea.  I’ve done a class in CSS and still fumble a bit but having a reference helps heaps.  Sometimes it can be a pain - but its benefits far outweigh the quirks.

To change the store name (which did help me immensely) - go to System/Config - Select the English Store from the drop-down, click ‘Edit Store View’ - change name and save.

Heather

Thanks Heather, that looks much nicer now and makes more sense. I wonder in tht listing-grid thing again, why my “Add To Compare” color cannot be changed.  I used the same logic you and NueBe gave me above, but it does nothing to change it If you look at our good old page
http://www.epicurecookware.com/ruffoni-copper/opera you see Add to Compoare is under add to cart for the Stockpot (it would not belong and is not under the grouped products so thats fine) but, under stockpot cannot be read. So should be simple to fix yes? NOPE!

.listing-type-grid .add-to-compare {
display:block;
margin:5px 0;
background:url(../images/icon_add_to_compare.gif) no-repeat 0 50%;
h5 a {color: #ffffff;}
padding-left:22px;
color:#ffffff; /*No idea what this color is. Its not font, its not hover*/
font-weight:bold;
}

I also tried font-color:#ffffff but of course that did nothing also.  Any clue how to change this? Shame on me for thinking it would be logical and follow suit from the main class of listing-type-grid.

I actually think this is one of the last things I need, as I assume other categories, products will follow these same code and be readable etc. So this may be the last of the ‘fundamentals’ anyway to really get going.  But then lord knows what mysteries lie ahead.

Magento Community
Magento Community

hez

Oh - and I might have said this before - but seriously think about using Firebug for Firefox.

Here’s a little screencast that’ll show you what you can do with it… http://screencast.com/t/uX5yNbkazFe

Heather

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

Yes I defintiely am using Firebug, have been since you first suggested it.  It does help, but of course not knowing enough about CSS I can get to the blocketc, but as my questions have shown, not know how to do a simple thing like change a font color.  I also wonder I have several products in each category and don’t want them allon one page. Lord knows what magic it will take to link to Opera Page 2, Opera Page 3 etc.

Magento Community
Magento Community

hez

Fair Enough.

Here’s what I usually try first (and any CSS experts out there are more than welcome to correct me here)

1. Find out where the color is coming from in the first place.  If you look through the css code for that text you’ll see that it’s from the body
2. Figure out which text I want to change (ie - everything in a whole block, just in the table header, just that paragraph etc)
3. Figure out what css is encapsulating that text (sometimes you just need to create a new class or id to define it’s color)
4. Add or change the color.

The text you want to change is a link - so, as you saw earlier, you will need to change the a color (and a:hover if you like)

So the wishlist has a class of link-cart
<a class="link-cart" href="http://www.epicurecookware.com/wishlist/index/add/product/1/">Add to Wishlist</a>

The compare doesn’t
<a href="http://www.epicurecookware.com/catalog/product_compare/add/product/1/r64/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5lcGljdXJlY29va3dhcmUuY29tL2NhdGFsb2cvY2F0ZWdvcnkvdmlldy9pZC85Lw==/">Add to Compare</a>

They are both contained within this tag <p class="add-to">

So - if you want to change the colors for both of these (wishlist and compare) then you would look for the add-to class and change that.  You’ll note in Firebug that this is .catalog-listing .add-to.  You would also remove the color tag from the link-cart class (which is at line 1444 for me - not sure why this doesn’t show in Firebug -but I did a search for link-cart in boxes.css) - and don’t forget this should be for the a

If you just want to change the compare product, you’ll want to add a line for the color for .catalog-listing .add-to a {color: #FFFFFF} (or whatever color code you want) to override the color that it is inheriting - which doesn’t show anywhere in firebug - because blue is the default color for the a tag.  If, by chance, this overrides the wishlist color then you will need to add !important to the link cart color attribute - similar to {color: #CCCCCC !important;} - this tells CSS to not override it.

Hope this helps.
Heather

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2