Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
calculate shipping cost per product

Arinaya

Total Posts:  2

Hi, we ship large items by ground freight and need the ability to calculate shipping price on a per product basis (rather than using total weight of order).

How would I modify MatrixRate to allow this (what files etc)?

Thanks for the great extension…

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

QuadraVis

Total Posts:  82
D - Erbach

Hi,

i’m also interesed in product related shipping costs. We sell printouts on canvas fit on wooden frames and there are realy big. So the shipping costs depends on the size of the frames. In germany you have to show the shipping costs before you put the product in cart. Does anybody has an idea?

Many thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

bfox

Total Posts:  12

Hello,
i have the same problem:
we sell big objects and the cost of shipping is tied to the category.

The partial solution i’ve implemented is this one: i’m using the weight field as a reference for a specific category.
So if an object have weight=1 i calculate the shipping price on destination.
The problem is when i have more objects. The solution would be to calculate shipping for every single product and not the total weight…

Is there someone with any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

WebShopApps
Guru

Total Posts:  460
London, UK

I now have a module that will calculate shipping on a per product basis.  This will shortly be released as a commercial extension.

For more information please contact me at enquiries@auctionmaid.com, and I will direct you to a demo testbed.

Rgds

Karen

Magento Community
Magento Community

WebShopApps
Guru

London, UK

Hi,

Just an update - I’ve got a couple of commercial extensions in this space:

Product Rate Shipping

Product Matrix Shipping

The first is like a flat rate shipping, but on a per item basis, whereas Product Matrix gives a lot more configuration so you can do things like specify different rates for shipping certain items to Alaska than main US, etc. It’s pretty powerful.

Rgds

Karen

Magento Community
Magento Community

Zeus7977

Total Posts:  4

Hi

I am interest in the extension for handling shipping price per product basis. We need to add a shipping cost to each product and then this needs to be calculated in the shopping basket in terms of products in your basket and total shipping cost for those products? Does anyone know.

Is this what this extension does? http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/1166

Nick

Magento Community
Magento Community

webrightnow

Total Posts:  65
Glasgow

I think this is a serious shortcoming of this otherwise brilliant ecommerce platform.
It really is a mystery why per-product shipping isn’t a standard Magento feature when I am sure it would be quite simple to implement and it applies to so many different real-life situations.
How many stores actually sell items that all cost the same amount to ship? And why are we forced to set complicated table rates according to weight, size and quantity when it would be so much simpler to add a tab for each the individual product named “shipping rate”?
Browse the web for “Magento per-product shipping” and you will find thousands of companies looking for this feature and offering hundreds of dollars to PHP developers to come up with a solution.
I understand that there are a few commercial extensions available for this purpose, but Magento is first and foremost an open-source platform and basic features such as this should be included.
I’m not a developer but I’ll tell you what: why don’t all those interested in this feature put $1 towards it and we can hire one good developer, then donate the extension to the community? Is that a stupid idea? Who is with me?

Magento Community
Magento Community

WebShopApps
Guru

London, UK

Hi,

I write some of the commercial extensions in this space, and have experience of open source - for instance I released Matrixrate to the community which has had over 11000 downloads.

The problem with releasing into the open source community I have found is that people expect top support, most of our clients are businesses, and realistically it’s not feasible to do this, maintain quality, and at no charge.  I have some clients who actually are pleased that I do charge, because then they are guaranteed a certain quality of service and product, and there is no way I could offer that if I was also trying to hold down a job elsewhere.

I suppose you could argue that it will self-maintain, etc but I think you only have to look at the number of community extensions that there are which are poorly documented, poorly supported, etc.  I am a great fan of open source, but I also think it has it’s limitations with regard to B2B. Ultimately many of the people on here are selling Magento solutions, they aren’t giving these away, and their time is valuable. With a company such as webshopapps.com you can save time, and get a product that is tested within the marketspace. Ultimately then I believe you actually save money.

Rgds

Karen

Magento Community
Magento Community

webrightnow

Glasgow

\"webshopapps\" -

The problem with releasing into the open source community I have found is that people expect top support, most of our clients are businesses, and realistically it\’s not feasible to do this, maintain quality, and at no charge.  I have some clients who actually are pleased that I do charge, because then they are guaranteed a certain quality of service and product, and there is no way I could offer that if I was also trying to hold down a job elsewhere.

I suppose you could argue that it will self-maintain, etc but I think you only have to look at the number of community extensions that there are which are poorly documented, poorly supported, etc.  I am a great fan of open source, but I also think it has it\’s limitations with regard to B2B. Ultimately many of the people on here are selling Magento solutions, they aren\’t giving these away, and their time is valuable. With a company such as webshopapps.com you can save time, and get a product that is tested within the marketspace. Ultimately then I believe you actually save money.

I completely understand your point Karen and I would never suggest that extensions that have cost developers time and money should be free, especially when you offer support.
I\’m sure the commercial extensions you developed offers features above and beyond simple per-product rates. All I\’m saying is that this specific feature ought to be included in Magento out-of-the-box because it\’s so essential to the running of many types of e-store. This is why I keep posting this question on Magento forums and I hope more and more people will do the same until eventually it gets integrated into the next release.
I know it\’s already on the list of requested features, but not right at the top, which means it might not happen for a while unless I can convince more people to request it.
If you agree that this is an essential feature and should be included in the next release of Magento, visit the Feature Request Forum and post a new request named \"Per-product shipping rates\”.

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

ddlm2010

Total Posts:  13

Hey there, I am having a problem with my shipping, lets say I have 1 product added to cart that weights 2 lbs and shipping cost is $9.00 for 2 lbs, then I add 2 for qty so the cost should be $18.00 for 4 lbs, but instead the shipping cost is only like $9.70. Please any help is greatly appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

webrightnow

Glasgow

Are you using table rates set to weight vs. destination? If you are, then you need to edit the tablerates.cvs file and add a cost of $18 for 4lb and up. Otherwise Magento doesn’t know what price to set for heavier items or even for multiple tems that make up a heavier order. That’s because weight vs. destination doesn’t take into account how many items you are ordering.
So for 6lb, you have to manually add and entry of $27, for 8lb $36 and so on - for as many entries as you can be bothered to enter. Yes, crazy as it sounds that’s what you have to do. Let me know if you need instructions on finding and editing tablerates.csv, but there’s plenty of info on that in other posts.
It’s an absolute pain but that’s the best way I’ve found to get round the problem of not being able to set a different shipping rate for each individual product. If that was possible, Magento would then simply multiply the product-specific fixed rate by the number of items, and Bob’s your uncle, as we say in Britain.
Alas, this really basic feature hasn’t been enabled so either you buy an extension, you spend thousands on the enterprise edition or you sit and edit csv files till the cows come home (other British expression).

Grumble grumble…

Have fun!

Magento Community
Magento Community

ddlm2010

Total Posts:  13

Thanks for the reply, I know how to use table rates, but this problem is happening with my carriers, I tried them all and the same problem happens, the rate it calculates for 1 product to x zip code is right, the problem is when it calculates the rate for 2 or more products, it only adds like $0.70 to the total.

Magento Community
Magento Community

redstage

Total Posts:  173
Hoboken, NJ

webrightnow - 26 April 2010 08:50 AM

I think this is a serious shortcoming of this otherwise brilliant ecommerce platform.
It really is a mystery why per-product shipping isn’t a standard Magento feature when I am sure it would be quite simple to implement and it applies to so many different real-life situations.
How many stores actually sell items that all cost the same amount to ship? And why are we forced to set complicated table rates according to weight, size and quantity when it would be so much simpler to add a tab for each the individual product named “shipping rate”?
Browse the web for “Magento per-product shipping” and you will find thousands of companies looking for this feature and offering hundreds of dollars to PHP developers to come up with a solution.
I understand that there are a few commercial extensions available for this purpose, but Magento is first and foremost an open-source platform and basic features such as this should be included.
I’m not a developer but I’ll tell you what: why don’t all those interested in this feature put $1 towards it and we can hire one good developer, then donate the extension to the community? Is that a stupid idea? Who is with me?

We’ve actually put out an extension that simply allows you to specify a flat rate for an individual product.  We also think that this really should be included in Magento’s core feature set.  We’ve actually had so many requests from our own clients, that we thought it would be a good idea to just build one.  We kept it cheap so everyone can have access to it.  Here’s the link:  http://store.redstage.com/flat-rate-shipping-per-product.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

redstage

Total Posts:  173
Hoboken, NJ

By popular demand, we’ve also released a Pro version of our Flat Rate Per Product Shipping Extension that allows you to set up multiple service levels, international shipping, and multiple calculation methods (sum of values, highest value, lowest value).  Check that one out here: http://store.redstage.com/flat-rate-shipping-per-product-pro.html.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Abedein

Total Posts:  9

Magento don’t let you set shipping cost in product level. You can do it by flatrate shipping method
Create a attribute shipping_world and add to your default attribute set.
overwrite/extend the flatrate carrier model of magento.
The value given in shipping_world attribute of product will be the flat shipping rate of that product.
http://blog.aajit.com/product-level-shipping-in-magento/

Magento Community
Magento Community

greentycoon88

Total Posts:  5

After loosing $7000 in shipping costs and seven grueling months of searching for a developer, I was able to find someone in Poland who was able to fix the Magento per product shipping issue for my e-commerce store.  It took him less than one hour and I paid $200.  I have now sold my store and will require the same fix, however I cannot locate the developer.  If any one has had the per product issue fixed for their Magento or have a fix other than an extension, please contact me. 

FYI...This fix worked with UPS live rates and Webshop Apps original multiple warehouse dropship extension.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2