Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Blasphemy’s Bakery

hez

Total Posts:  103

Hey All,

I’ve been working non-stop for a week now - had to move hosts twice (stay away from GoDaddy and DreamHost (well - I love Dreamhost for my personal sites - but for production their downtime is too much)) and finally ended up with Helping Hands Host.  They are EXCELLENT.  They installed Magento for me and have been right on top of anything I’ve asked - including moving my site to their NJ datacenter as most of my customers are on the east coast so it’ll speed things up for them a bit.

Anyway - it’s not earth shattering but I think it’s looking pretty good.

Comments/Suggestions/Questions are all more than welcome.

http://www.blasphemysbakery.com

BTW - it’s LIVE - I know that’s a no-no, but sometimes circumstances dictate that we bend the rules a bit.

So if you want to order - you can get 15% off with Coupon Code EVAL08 (only until Thursday)

Heather

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

webweaver

Total Posts:  13

Hi hez!

Thanks for the tips about hosting!  I always had a bad feeling about GoDaddy.  Glad to know there was a reason for it. 

The store looks great!  Ooh, I want some of everything.  Great beauty shots of the scones, cookies, and all.  Truly professional, and tie in with the red background so well.  Well done.

One thing you may want to add:  how it’s packaged.  People want to know their gift will look impressive when the recipient receives it, at least here in the States they do.  I know you Ozzies are more laid-back, so maybe not so important there?  This is really important for the gift baskets.  Maybe some pix, too. 

Also, I don’t know what the regulations in Oz are, but for the gift baskets, instead of “Ingredients” (makes me think I’m about to read “flour, sugar, baking soda....") maybe a heading something like something like “Includes all the following treats and goodies” or something along those lines.  Then you might want to make the items produced by you links so the customer can quickly see what the “widget brownies” or whatever look like, what’s in them, etc.  Just an idea. 

You might want to jazz up your gift basket copy with more “tug words” like “brimming” and “lavish” and “indulge” and stuff like that.  Look at Harry & David and some other successful gift basket companies’ websites for ideas.  (I just put Harry and David off the top of my head because I order pear gift baskets from them every year).  Maybe call the large baskets “ultimate chocolate lover’s basket” instead of “large”? 

You might also want to suggest occasions other than the obvious for giving these (to tuck the idea into the prospective buyer’s head to act on later if not now) ...  like how they make welcome hostess gifts or to say “job well done” ... you know the drill.  Next time a hostess gift or whatnot is needed, then that idea is tucked in the brain in association with your company’s name.  Or, the customer may be looking for a birthday celebration gift, but thinks “oh yeah, we’re invited to dinner at the Ladidahs next week.  Better order something for the hostess gift and then I won’t have to think about it.” And bingo, you have an add-on sale.  Believe it not, this stuff works.

I may be still learning the puter stuff, but I was very successful in the ad business… once upon a time an award-winning copywriter and later creative director.  (Displayed my gold addies on the back of my toilet tee hee) Horrible business and glad to be out of it, but at least I can offer some tips along those lines even if I’m not up to speed on programming yet.

All above suggestions FWIW.  May not apply in the Land of Oz.  No hard feelings if they don’t apply to you at all.

Thanks again for your help with my queston earlier.

Best regards, ww

Magento Community
Magento Community

webweaver

Oops!  I just noticed I called you Hez, Heather.  Sorry about that!

What I wast trying to say about the gift baskets is make the prospective customer imagine what it will be like when the recipient opens the gift.  How delighted they will be ... let it be a process… the recipients open the box, they are impressed and delighted, they keep discovering more and more mouth-watering treasures, becoming happier and happier etc., then they have a memorable celebration with the stuff in the gift basket and everybody’s just so gosh-darned happy. 

Why do people order gift baskets?  To make a loved one happy (show how it makes them happy) or impress a business client (tell them how impressed they will be).  Of course you don’t say it exactly that way, but get the thought process going in the customer’s mind.  This produces a sort of daydream that the customer fills in with his own particular hopes and wishes.  If you can get the customer to have a compelling positive daydream about your product, you are well on the road to a sale.  Again, look and Harry and David and some of those for ideas.

Hope this was helpful.  ww

Magento Community
Magento Community

hez

Hi Webweaver!

Thanks for all the input!

I’m not sure why you think this site is for Australia though.  It’s a US site.  Granted - I’m an Australian citizen as well (American by birth) - but I live and work in America now.  Interested to know why you thought that!

We had packaging pictures up on the front page - but they were ‘Christmas’ themed and our photographer has been really ill so we haven’t been able to get new ones.  Hopefully in the next week or so.

I like the idea about adding links to the products in the gift baskets - will definitly implement that.  I will also change the Ingredients to Includes for the gift baskets - another great idea.

I’ll forward on your ideas about verbiage and suggesting other occasions to our marketing person - these are, in my humble opinion, excellent!

Thanks again for your input - it is most appreciated.

If I can ever give you a hand with a bit of ‘puter stuff give me a hollar.

Heather

ps - in actual fact - all my Ozzie friends think the idea of an online bakery is strange - go figure!

Magento Community
Magento Community

hez

It’s Ok - you can call me Hez or Heather - I answer to both smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

webweaver

Ah, of course, the dreaded Christmas change-out.  Happens to us all.  I’d still tell the customer in words how gorgeous the packaging is, though. 

I guess I thought it was an Ozzie company because it simply struck me as not American, Maybe the name?  Maybe I didn’t run into any words spelt either American or Brit style? (I have Brit spellchecker, and had to spell Brit for years, so I notice that stuff.) Hmm.  I’m not sure, but I remember thinking that the name would prolly work for Brits or Ozzies or even Canadians, but not Americans or maybe even Kiwis.  Americans might be afraid of offending the gift recipient (especially of certain denominations) if it came from a place named “blasphemy’s” and it might (horror of horrors) be run by wiccans or something (insert your favourite SNL Church Lady routine here).  People of certain denominations and persuasions might even be afraid to click on the link for fear sulphurous fumes would come out of their puter. 

I lived and worked overseas for many years after getting out of the ad biz, so maybe I have a strange perspective.  And maybe the name really isn’t a problem for Americans.  Like I said, I lived out of the country for so many years. 

I can see where Ozzies would think it strange. 

So far, I’m plugging along with my PHP tutorials and making progress.  I’ve got more experience on the design side, and no probs there (love my dreamweaver), but the PHP is my new challenge.  When I’m far enough along to ask halfway intelligent questions, I will ask!  Thanks again!

Magento Community
Magento Community

hez

Hopefully it will appeal to a certain segment of the market.

Heather

Magento Community
Magento Community

webweaver

Ah.  Well, so long as it’s just between us chickens… too bad they outvoted you!  You are doing a fantastic job.  Really.  I mean that.  The site looks great.  Super colour work, design balance, all of it.  And works like a champ (the most important thing!). 

The gift basket/online bakery field is pretty darn crowded, so it’s great to have a niche like “organic” and “all natural” and you do have unique items.  And the Arbor Inn connection is a real plus.  I’ll be interested to see how it goes, and wish all the best!  ww

Magento Community
Magento Community

Total Posts:  76
UK

hez - 10 February 2008 11:48 AM

BTW - it’s LIVE - I know that’s a no-no, but sometimes circumstances dictate that we bend the rules a bit.

Good luck with that then when the production version is officially released… smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

DailyLunatic

Total Posts:  39
Oklahoma City, OK

hez - 10 February 2008 11:48 AM

Hey All,

I’ve been working non-stop for a week now - had to move hosts twice (stay away from GoDaddy and DreamHost (well - I love Dreamhost for my personal sites - but for production their downtime is too much)) and finally ended up with Helping Hands Host.  They are EXCELLENT.  They installed Magento for me and have been right on top of anything I’ve asked - including moving my site to their NJ datacenter as most of my customers are on the east coast so it’ll speed things up for them a bit.

Anyway - it’s not earth shattering but I think it’s looking pretty good.

Comments/Suggestions/Questions are all more than welcome.

Tried to take a look for a couple of days now and ran into a bit of a problem both times.  Homepage loads just fine, and when I go to catagory cookies it “looks” ok, but bottom shows it still trying to load 3 or 4 graphics (looks like ‘mini-search? dunno, hard to tell as the full path is not visable to me).  Yesterday I tried restarting the browser, and rebooting the computer and got no results Today I let it sit on the page for most of my lunch hour and it never loaded and could not get anyother page to load after that.

I’m at work, and behind who knows what kind of firewalls, but other Magento sites have loaded fine today and in the past.

Anyone else getting this kind of behavior?  What would cause it?  Host issue?  Programing issue? Me?

Magento Community
Magento Community

hez

Thanks for that - I’ll look into it.  Heather

Magento Community
Magento Community

hez

Could you tell me how you are seeing that images/icon_basket.gif is missing?  It’s actually there so I’m a bit perplexed by this.

Heather

Magento Community
Magento Community

webweaver

I’m getting the dreaded “server not found.” I hope your host gets you back online and that you get it all worked out, Heather! 

PS:  Anyone who is considering searching for domain name availability should first check out my post in the general forum warning about the outrageous practices of NetSol.  Don’t get burned like I did!

Magento Community
Magento Community

medic

Total Posts:  173
Sydney

Can you let me know what problems you had with GoDaddy Hosting?

Thanks smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

hez

I wasn’t able to get the PayPal thing working - worked fine on Dreamhost and on HHH but GoDaddy insisted it wasn’t them.  With a previous ecommerce package I was using it wouldn’t send the emails to customers - again - only a GoDaddy problem.  Their solution for both was that I should use their shopping cart software at $30/month.

Heather

Magento Community
Magento Community

hez

by the way webweaver - I think you managed to try the site during the 5 minutes it was being rebooted due to a security patch for linux. 

Heather

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2