Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Homepage New Product Columns

sykesav

Total Posts:  3

I’ve looked around for an answer but I can’t seem to find anything that works.

On my homepage my new products only display in 2 columns but I’d like it to be 3 so it fills the page. I’ve tried the column_count but it has no effect. Any ideas?

URL for reference is: http://www.sykesmusicstore.com/magento

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

kmHelms

Total Posts:  227

Hi, I looked at your site. You actually are technically displaying 4 products per row, but the css padding or width is preventing them from fitting more than 2 per row. Since your products are set to “float: left”, it pushes them to the next row after displaying as many that can fit in the first row. You’ll need to edit around line 789 of your css to fix it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sykesav

Ok Thanks!

So I was able to modify the CSS to fit 3 per row. Now I want to change the column count to 3 so I went into my New.php and changed the default for a two_columns_left & right to 3 but for some reason it didn’t seem to do anything. Also I want a product count of 12 so 4 rows 3 columns but it seems to max at 3 rows and because the columns are off it’s pushing the other stuff out.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kmHelms

Total Posts:  227

Are you trying to change your column count in directly in the phtml file or is it in the xml? I tried to see what you had going on your site but it doesn’t show any new or featured products anymore. I see your regular category pages are showing 3 per row, so did you get that part working?

There are some adjustments you can make in (admin) system > config> catalog >frontend that may be of use to you, but keep in mind these settings effect your regular category pages as well. I would think the changes you need to make would be in the xml file though. You will likely have to put (in the block type="catalog/product_list")

<action method="setColumnCount"><columns>3</columns></action>

As for the limit on rows, it’s hard to tell without seeing it. I wonder if it’s trying to paginate it...? You will likely have to add another action method line in the xml to allow more rows, but I don’t know the syntax and don’t want to tell you the wrong thing.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sykesav

Thanks I’ll give that a try. Yes I noticed my new products disappeared this morning event though their dates are still set to be showing so I’ll have to look into that as well.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community