Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

New Magento Classic Theme - FREE!!! 

TemplatesMaster
Guru

Total Posts:  308
Switzerland

LAChoppers_Tech - 26 February 2009 12:22 PM

Templates-Master

I am trying to add several blocks to the left & right columns on the front 3-page layout. i have tried adding Static blocks, customer.xml, catalog.xml, right_col.phtml, left_col.phtml...NOTHING works. Can you give me some insight as to how I can add a few more boxes with nice headers like “my cart” and “Popular Tags” please? You can PM me if you would like to see the URL I am working from. I would rather not post it yet.

We usually add static block to any container with next code.

<block type="cms/block"  name="[b]showcase[/b]">
        <
action method="setBlockId">
          <
block_id>[b]showcase[/b]</block_id>
        </
action>
      </
block>

You can add this for example to catalog.xml. Please check for <default> tag. Inside it you will find <reference name="left"> and <reference name="right"> tags. Block code should go inside one of them. You should change block_id to the static block id and set name so you will be able to arrange blocks.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

MassDigitalMedia

Total Posts:  83
Leominster, MA

TemplatesMaster - 28 February 2009 07:42 AM

LAChoppers_Tech - 26 February 2009 12:22 PM
Templates-Master

I am trying to add several blocks to the left & right columns on the front 3-page layout. i have tried adding Static blocks, customer.xml, catalog.xml, right_col.phtml, left_col.phtml...NOTHING works. Can you give me some insight as to how I can add a few more boxes with nice headers like “my cart” and “Popular Tags” please? You can PM me if you would like to see the URL I am working from. I would rather not post it yet.

We usually add static block to any container with next code.

<block type="cms/block"  name="[b]showcase[/b]">
        <
action method="setBlockId">
          <
block_id>[b]showcase[/b]</block_id>
        </
action>
      </
block>

You can add this for example to catalog.xml. Please check for <default> tag. Inside it you will find <reference name="left"> and <reference name="right"> tags. Block code should go inside one of them. You should change block_id to the static block id and set name so you will be able to arrange blocks.

Thanks so much for your help here. I’m sure many will find this useful! 2 quick questions though. Can you add a block over the Store Categories? Also, I don’t see the popular tags block anywhere on there or on the right_col.phtml. I am looking to move that to the footer...Thanks once again! Also...when i click on a category, I lose the “shop by” option?

Magento Community
Magento Community

TemplatesMaster
Guru

Switzerland

LAChoppers_Tech - 28 February 2009 09:20 AM

Thanks so much for your help here. I’m sure many will find this useful! 2 quick questions though. Can you add a block over the Store Categories?

You should add “before” attribute to block tag so it will look like

<block type="cms/block"  name="showcase" before="[b]catalog.sidebar[/b]">

It should put this block before catalog navigation sidebar block.

Also, I don’t see the popular tags block anywhere on there or on the right_col.phtml. I am looking to move that to the footer...Thanks once again!

Popular Tags box declared in tag.xml.

Also...when i click on a category, I lose the “shop by” option?

Shop by option is layered navigation box. Your category should be set as anchor AFAIR to have active layered navigation block.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MassDigitalMedia

Total Posts:  83
Leominster, MA

I have placed the following in, but the block still resides under the navigation. Sorry to be such a pain!

<reference name="left">
            <
block type="cms/block" name="Baron TV" before="catalog.sidebar"><action method="setBlockId"><block_id>barontv</block_id></action></block>
            <
block type="core/template" after="-" name="left.permanent.callout-2" template="callouts/left_col.phtml">
                <
action method="setImgSrc"><src>images/media/col_left_callout-2.jpg</src></action>

Magento Community
Magento Community

TemplatesMaster
Guru

Switzerland

LAChoppers_Tech - 28 February 2009 09:45 AM

I have placed the following in, but the block still resides under the navigation. Sorry to be such a pain!

<reference name="left">
            <
block type="cms/block" name="Baron TV" before="catalog.sidebar"><action method="setBlockId"><block_id>barontv</block_id></action></block>
            <
block type="core/template" after="-" name="left.permanent.callout-2" template="callouts/left_col.phtml">
                <
action method="setImgSrc"><src>images/media/col_left_callout-2.jpg</src></action>

Please PM us with your details and we will check.

Magento Community
Magento Community

generalbongo

Total Posts:  75

This is a great template!
I am planning to use it for my new site!

But what if I want to use the slider on my old site with the default magento theme?

How should I do that?

Thx

Bongo

Magento Community
Magento Community

cbsteven

Total Posts:  73

Nice looking theme, definitely.

I feel like a total newb but the instructions seem to lack the critical step of how to actually activate the theme once it is installed. I assume I need to set it in System/Config/Design. I have “default” as the package and have tried f002 as both template and skin. Cache is off. Nothing seems to change on my front end.

Magento Community
Magento Community

generalbongo

Total Posts:  75

same here

I just copied the files from ‘f002’ in my ‘default’ folder and that did the thing

probably not the way to do it but it works grin

Still trying to implement the slider in the default theme.... anyone?

Regards

Bongo

Magento Community
Magento Community

M2K

Total Posts:  10

Hello ,
Ive been struggling with this template a little,ive installed it but i cant get my category to show on the homepage to the left under store catalog

My category is the root category,
Is active = Yes
Display Mode Products Only
CMS Block Please select static block
Is Anchor Yes

Product Information
Status enabled

Ive also refreshed and cleared browser several times and disabled it.

My link is cafenubia.net

here are a few screenshots also.

Image Attachments
ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 15 17.01.gifScreenHunter_02 Mar. 15 17.01.gifScreenHunter_03 Mar. 15 17.03.gif

Magento Community
Magento Community

M2K

False alarm sorry about that,i added a subcategory and the root showed up................

Magento Community
Magento Community

M2K

Im still having a problem ,actually my root didnt show only my subcategory shows on homepage.Its suppose to have the root as musical instruments and the sub as drums and accesssories.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TemplatesMaster
Guru

Switzerland

M2K - 16 March 2009 01:44 AM

Im still having a problem ,actually my root didnt show only my subcategory shows on homepage.Its suppose to have the root as musical instruments and the sub as drums and accesssories.

Please post link or screenshot.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TemplatesMaster
Guru

Switzerland

generalbongo - 11 March 2009 07:35 AM

same here

I just copied the files from ‘f002’ in my ‘default’ folder and that did the thing

probably not the way to do it but it works grin

Still trying to implement the slider in the default theme.... anyone?

Regards

Bongo

Please download installation instruction from our blog. You should create several static blocks to install this theme.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TemplatesMaster
Guru

Switzerland

cbsteven - 11 March 2009 07:27 AM

Nice looking theme, definitely.

I feel like a total newb but the instructions seem to lack the critical step of how to actually activate the theme once it is installed. I assume I need to set it in System/Config/Design. I have “default” as the package and have tried f002 as both template and skin. Cache is off. Nothing seems to change on my front end.

Please check if you have f002 theme set for your active store or you may have other theme set for you home page and categories.

Magento Community
Magento Community

M2K

TemplatesMaster - 16 March 2009 01:50 AM

Please post link or screenshot.

http://www.cafenubia.net

Image Attachments
Magento Admin_1237217505859.pngMagento Admin_1237217595185.pngMagento Admin_1237217651930.pngMagento Admin_1237217898404.pngMagento Admin_1237217904868.pngMagento Admin_1237217917674.pngMagento Admin_1237217925414.pngMagento Admin_1237217933130.pngMagento Admin_1237217969453.pngMagento Admin_1237218395900.png

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community