Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

General Site Slowness

chrisd66

Total Posts:  3

This was actually a reply to another thread ( http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/15581/ ), but I wanted to make a new topic so that maybe a magento developer could weigh in on this.

I am new to this product, using the latest v1.2.1, and have been slowly loading in products over the last few days.  First off I don’t want to sound like I’m bashing the product because overall I really like it and wouldn’t be using it if I didn’t. I currently have about 120 products loaded in and the admin section of the site is horribly slow.  The frontend is also slow, though thankfully not as slow as the admin.

I know that the site is hosted at godaddy which according to other posts here seems like a bad idea. (I’m looking into other options)
Back to the original reason for my post here.  I haven’t tried to debug any of the code, but just looking at the previous post with the query that is being run to retrieve customers I can see why things are so slow.  That is an insane query to be trying to run.  If any of the developers are seeing this reply, I would really love to know why they would try to run something like that. I can only imagine that the product retrieval queries are similar.

Mysql doesn’t handle joins well to begin with.  You shouldn’t do more than 3 or 4 joins at a time if you are trying to have any reasonable performance.  If you are going to have 11 joins in a query why wouldn’t you just break that up into mutiple queries.  Even with a perfect indexing solution, once the data reached a critical point this query would break down just because of the amount of data that it would have to scan through.  Having to wait 9 seconds with only 46,000 customers in the database is completely unacceptable.

In other posts on slow performance I have read that increasing the php memory to 128M or more should help with performance.  Again, developers if you are out there, why would this product need to burn through so much memory?  With what is happening and the amount of information that needs to be retrieved per page, this shouldn’t need more than about 16M of memory per run and that’s factoring in the memory holding all the includes.

Unless one is expecting to carry a product line in the thousands and millions of customers, magento shouldn’t require a special tricked out set of servers to run.  Someone needs to look into the how and why of some of these crazy queries as well as the php memory usage.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

satish
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  812
34,mantri Sadan,Shivaji Nagar,Nagpur,MS,India 4400

For speed did You do this
1)Set cache as needed.
2)In configuration advance disable modules not in use.

Also what are the system resources that are available to run Your magento site.

Satish

Magento Community
Magento Community

chrisd66

Total Posts:  3

As I mentioned at the begining of my post, I am currently at godaddy on a shared server where I’ve never seen the load fall below 20 and averages about 40 with spikes as high as 200.  Obviously a place where even a bare bones html page would have trouble loading.

Caching in this situation wouldn’t make much of a difference since the file system would probably be a bottleneck.

The post wasn’t intented to fix my personal situation, but as a general observation of magento in general.  My point was that magento has poor resource management conbined with poor database design and interaction.  Looking through the forum, there are not many solutions to the core problem which lies in the code.  Everyone is trying to solve the speed problem by building a faster web server.  This is not the correct solution to the problem and the magento development team doesn’t address this.  Increasing server performance and/or number of servers is a scaling solution, you do this when your site reaches a performance decline due to the traffic.  You should not need to make these upgrades just to make the software run.  You are talking about a piece of software that runs an online store.  I could see the justification for making these upgrades if someone told me that they were serving 500 simultaneous customers on average.  But to be running a Quad core/4GB web server just to get decent performance from the admin tools or frontend with no customer traffic is unreal.

I think that the dev teams primary focus should be optimizing all the overhead that is involve with running the program.  What good is developing all these cool extensions and features for magento if the core program is unusable.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Incognito
Guru

Total Posts:  322
Michigan

It is a trade off between being flexible and performance.  In magento it is easy to set up new attributes but for that ease of adding attributes it makes it less efficient.  You could try and optimize your mysql configuration (ex. increase your query cache size), but you will still not have good performance when you pay $5 a month with godaddy.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community