Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Make Selective Backups

sosuke

Total Posts:  24

Let’s say, for the sake of argument, that I needed to update only the products in my Magento store once every month. Is there a way to do this updating locally by using dataflow, then create a sql file, much like Magento>Tools>Backup does, but to have this file only contain the updated products. (Including attribute links and such, so that configurable products still worked) Then use this sql file in PHPADMIN, to simply update the products on the remote server without messing with configuration or customer information?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Ben Marks
Guru

Total Posts:  452
Charleston, SC

sosuke,

It sounds like you have a local/dev server, and you want to “push” content to your production server once a month.  This is not a tenable solution because of the highly normalized nature of Magento’s db.

There shouldn’t be an issue with using DataFlow (Import/Export Profiles) to accomplish a catalog import from your local environment, provided the SKUs match.

Does this resolve your issue?

Magento Community
Magento Community

sosuke

Total Posts:  24

Well,...i have a custom script which basically updates product data each month, it works very well on a local machine, but it takes upwards of five hours for the dataflow to run. this would use a lot of server resources. i thought it would be easier to run the script on my local machine, dump all product tables from the database, then drop the product tables from the remote server, and repopulate with the tables from the local environment. That way i wouldn’t be in danger of losing order or customer information. Won’t work? Are you thinking i should put the remote site down for maintenance and run the dataflow on the remote server? Thank you for your time.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community