Magento Forum

Help. Trying to update images and css on homepage but only cached images and css load, not what is updated. 

theflyingburritto

Total Posts:  2

I am trying to add / replace images and do some design changes w css on my client’s homepage. When I upload the updated stylesheet or image to the appropriate directory in the theme folder on the server, the old / cached images and stylesheet are loaded. I’ve gone through cache management and flushed all the cache types and even toggled the “Merge CSS Files (beta)” option in system/configuration/developer/css settings. The latter did make it to where I could make some css changes but not always. It didn’t however help at all with loading or displaying the new jpgs. I’ve also manually flushed the var/cache folder on the server to no avail. I’ve pulled the images and stylesheet from the server to my local desktop just to confirm that they were in fact the updated files. They are.

I have no idea how Magento is loading the cached files because I’ve manually deleted everything from the var/cache folder. If I delete or rename the file on the server, it will not load. If I replace it with another jpg it displays the old / cached image. If I give the jpg a new name and update it in CMS it will display it, but I’d really prefer to not do that.

If there is any other information I can provide, please let me know. I look forward to any help on this… I am really stressing this.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Lyonscg

Total Posts:  173
Chicago IL

My first thought is, are you using any sort of caching beyond Magento’s FPC? Maybe something like APC or Memcache? Also, if you’re using a CDN, this could also cause this. With APC and Memcache, you may need to manually clear that cache as well. This is normally done on the server itself via the command line, but depending on your specific setup, you may have a GUI. With a CDN, you will need to login to the CDN’s client portal and drop the cache manually.

Magento Community
Magento Community

theflyingburritto

Total Posts:  2

I just want to follow up. Lyons definitely put me on the right track. We wound up resetting the server and clearing the memcache.. which was in fact enabled. I was able to find this out easily by executing a simple phpinfo() which confirmed that it and ATC are enabled on the server. After clearing the memcache and resetting the server, it loaded the latest copy of my stylesheet and images. However when I tried to make updates again it kept caching the same updated stylesheet and images. We identified another feature on the server called SuperCacher Static Cache which was enabled on our domain. We decided to turn this feature off and now the server is now loading the right files and my updates are live.

Thank you lyons for pointing me in the right track. I’m going to close this ticket as my problem is now resolved!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lyonscg

Total Posts:  173
Chicago IL

Glad to hear you were able to get this resolved. Best wishes.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community