Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

having troubles with attributes in magento

jbrill

Total Posts:  3

Hey,
i’ve been watching magento’s development for a while and i finally have the opportunity to use it. i am however, confused about one thing.

In the latest version of magento, if i want to have multiple colors for a product, how would i go about doing this?
I have read that i have to add the same product each with a different color and then combine them.

All i want to do is have a drop down so the customer on the site can select the color of the product that they wish to add tot their cart.
I have about 40 different colors and hundreds of products, i cannot waste the time adding each product with a different color and then combining them as one. is there something im missing or does it have to be done this way?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Baybee

Total Posts:  61

Nope, you read right.  That is exactly what all the fuss is over in several other threads here....

Have to create the same product, one for each color, then a configurable product to associate all those others with.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jbrill

this really needs to be corrected, i think the way it is currently will push a lot of people away form this awesome platform. When is this issue supposed to be fixed? I would love to use magento, but i absolutely refuse to enter 250 products for 1 single product and repeat that hundreds of times for each product.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Wombat

Somerset, UK

Oh, what a pain - hasn’t anything been done to sort this out?  The platform is amazing, but this sort of thing makes it totally unrealistic for any sort of product that comes on more than one or two colours!  Surely it’s not beyond the wit of Varien to work this problem out...?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community