Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Fasthosts

BarryUK

Total Posts:  5

First of all hello grin

I’m with Fasthosts, who generally aren’t too bad. Monthly rates, good steady servers and tech support are OK. I’ve just asked them if I could have mcrypt and mhash. As far as I can see the only things stopping me from installing Magento there. I should point out I’m no coder and actually have no clue what mcrypt and mhash are red face

The response I got was

At present, we don’t offer mcrypt and mhash. However, we regularly add new products to our portfolio and I’ll pass your request to our new products team.

I told them why I wanted it, and pointed out that they are likely to be getting a lot of requests for this in the future. I’ll be calling their New Products team on Monday to see if and when.

So I thought that if anyone else has a hosting deal with them, and we all ask, then maybe just maybe.....

Cheers
Barry

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

gadgetplay

Total Posts:  30
Basingstoke, UK

I’m with 1&1;who are owned by United Internet who also own Fasthosts.

Quite strange Fasthosts don’t support those features.

Luckily 1&1;did. Maybe move to 1&1;?

Magento Community
Magento Community

BalleroyMonarch

Total Posts:  5
Scotland

After nearly 6 years with Fasthosts (2 years of great, 2 years of mediocre and 2 years of hell !! service) , I recently transferred away to iDAQ.

iDAQ.co.uk have been absolutely brilliant to work with and I have made significant progress since joining them.  I now have my 2 dedicated servers with them. I highly recommend them.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Online Selling Ltd

Total Posts:  14

Hey everyone.

I too have been having this problem. I’ve just signed up for the Fasthosts Reseller Account with the intention of hosting Magento ecommerce websites on there, to find they don’t support MCrypt.

Support haven’t yet come back with a work-around, and seem to be trying to wash their hands of the idea of using it.

Do you have a work-around specific to Fasthosts accounts?

If it helps, I’m using a shared Apache server.

Feedback would be hugely appreciated!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

If the mcrypt extension is not installed on the server, I am afraid there is no work-around. It is one of the core system requirements and you won’t be able to install Magento without it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

justlooking

Total Posts:  10

I would personally go with a company which offers specialized Magento Hosting such as
http://www.nublue.co.uk/

I have recently opened a reseller account with them (having previously used Fasthosts & United Hosting). So far very impressed with NuBlue and you can install Magento quickly straight from your control panel.

Magento Community
Magento Community

AndyP

Total Posts:  2

Hi,

I use Fasthosts and must admit have not had any problems with their Tech Support, although I have not had call to use them very much.

Of course, I do not know which choice of server or OS you have made, but I went for a dedicated server with their Centos offering (it’s pretty much a free version of Redhat). Annoyingly they have customised the setup a little, mainly to accommodate their Matrix control panel. but no matter, the problems it creates are easily overcome.

My main point however is, seeing as I have root access to the server , it has been a trivial matter to update or add, Apache, PHP, mcrypt and mhash originally supplied on the server.

If you wish to go down this route then send me a PM and I will give you information on how it can be accomplished.

regards,
Andy

Magento Community
Magento Community

medlington2

Total Posts:  63

Hi,

Do any of you know if Fasthosts have installed these commands now?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community