Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do I create a single configurable product (with one SKU) with complex attributes (total combinations would run into the 100000s)? 

shrike71

Total Posts:  5

Hi all,

Love the product and would like to use it for a project for my customer, but i’ve been trying various product setups and I can’t seem to find an easy way to do this:

My customer has a few base products ( 4 in to total at the moment). Each product is configurable with up to 6 additional attributes , one of which has 64 options, the others varying between 3 and 5 options.  i’ve been trying to create a configurable product based on 4 of the attributes, which at first seems quite easy to set up, but delving a little deeper, it seems i have to create a “simple product” variant (and SKU) for each possible combination of attributes! From my understanding, this would mean i would have to create hundreds of thousands of products, all associated with a super product, to get the variations. As you can see this is a bit unrealistic.

An SKU for the base product alone is sufficient because the order (described by the base product and the choice of attributes) forms the basis of a “job card” which actually goes to manufacturing the order required.

All we need is the ability to associate attributes ( or an attribute set) with a base product and have the order line reflect the choices of the attributes. Is this possible with Magento at the moment? Is my workflow for a complex product wrong? Does nobody else have this requirement?

Thanks in advance,

Shrike71

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

GosekMedia

Toronto | Ontario

Same here....

We will be having 900 products to offer, and the only option a customer will chose is a small or large product. The way the atributes and configurable products are setup now, will force us to create 2,400 sku’s in the system. To me, it seems a bit redandant....

A quick solution to this this issue would be to introduce a NEW form of attribute (frontend only) that passes option(s) to shopping cart and order invoice. This way, we can create an attribute w/ various options that is attached to the product (globaly) and will not need to be a simple or seperate sku.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Baybee

Total Posts:  61

I’ve said this same thing in another thread.  Let me give my own scenario:

I make and sell ready-to-paint ceramic bisque (mostly).  However, I have several customers that want me to paint their items for them.  This would be a “finished ceramic”.  Now, if they wish for me to finish the ceramic for them, there of course is an additional cost which has to be added to the bisque price.  So, as of right now on my current site, I have a single attribute which has the options “Bisque” or “Painted”.  The bisque option is the default and adds $0 to the price because the price shown is already the bisque price.  If they choose the “Painted” option it will add $10-$50 to the price depending on what the item is.  In order to do this on my current software, all I have to do is to go to the products attribute page in the backend, tick the checkbox for those options, set the price to add or subtract, enter the prefix (+ or -) and enter the sort order for them.  This on ONE product.

With Magento, I’d have to enter 2 items for each product (one bisque and one painted), 2 simple products and then set yet ANOTHER configurable product for the bisque piece (which is redundant because I already have the simple product).  Put both those as related to the configurable product but yet my attribute options are not even showing up which should allow someone to choose “Bisque or FInished” from the pull down. 

Now on my Embraceable Urns website, I have sometimes 4 or 5 attritbutes for a customer to choose for customizing their purchase.  So there I’d be entering 5 different simple products of the SAME main product!

I keep hearing “greater flexibility” when it comes to these different product types, and that is all great and fine… but it’s tons of more work (usually of the redundant nature) for the store owner or the webmaster.  The product setup is just way too complicated for me to even think of moving from CRELoaded to Magento at this point due to the heavy volume of products I’d have to enter.  I currently have over 1000 products in my store which were all hand entered by me.  I dont have time to sit and enter these things yet again at an average of 3-5 minutes per product.  Sometimes simpler is better and the product entry with Magento, while very easy to comprehend is just too much.  Condense this stuff to a simpler 1 or 2 page form… would be much easier and less confusing for some.

Magento Community
Magento Community

shrike71

Any interest in this from Irubin? I’m about to dissect the API to see how easy or hard it might be to do this myself, but i’d appreciate any feedback if this feature was in the pipe anytime soon

Shrike71

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ross
Guru

Total Posts:  336
Scarborough, North Yorkshire, UK

I have seen this issue come up in a few forum threads now.  The Magento team seem to be listening (there is a mention of plans to improve things in this thread: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/3132/ ).  Although, automating the creation of simple products doesn’t sound ideal either.

Basically, the existing method of managing configurable products isn’t workable for a lot of common scenarios.

Perhaps this should be posted in the feature request section of the forum.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community