Magento Forum

Checkout issue - empty cart after clicking checkout [URGENT]

skippybosco

Total Posts:  796

Never heard back, but I suspect given it was 5 hours from Eastern., that something was configured for GMT (since Eastern is GMT + 5)

Did you validate the 4 options mentioned above?

Also, check your session folder and see what time your files are being corrected and adjust accordingly.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

EmJaInteractive

Total Posts:  121
Charlotte, NC USA

skippybosco - 01 May 2009 04:30 PM

Never heard back, but I suspect given it was 5 hours from Eastern., that something was configured for GMT (since Eastern is GMT + 5)

Also, check your session folder and see what time your files are being corrected and adjust accordingly.

yes, I tried the 4 options and just submitted a ticket to double check with host to see what time the server is in. According to my control panel for host it says CDT and I have Magento in EST.

The strange thing is, the person I have that can reproduce the problem has issues with IE6 and Opera 9.64, when they try with Firefox it works fine.

They can not add products to cart and I have other customers (who used IE) who can add products to cart, but can’t proceed to checkout without it dumping their contents.

I do have site in HTTP them when they “proceed to checkout” it changes to HTTPS. The site works fine on my machine.

Magento Community
Magento Community

EmJaInteractive

Charlotte, NC USA

skippybosco - 01 May 2009 04:30 PM

Stupid question, where is the session folder? I had this site developed for me and I don’t know all the ins and outs, but do know a little.

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco

no worries..

session folder is at:

magento\var\session

Magento Community
Magento Community

EmJaInteractive

Charlotte, NC USA

They are posted as 5/1/09 20:43

My time is EST which is 5/1/09 9:45PM (21:45)

I changed Magento Admin to CDT to match server, but still no luck.

Magento Community
Magento Community

EmJaInteractive

Charlotte, NC USA

skippybosco - 01 May 2009 04:41 PM

no worries..

session folder is at:

magento\var\session

Cookie Path is empty
Cookie Domain is empty
Cookie Lifetime I changed from 3600 to 36000 (should it be higher?)

My current version is 1.1.8, should i upgrade to 1.3.1? I am afraid it would just cause more problems and my developers aren’t easy to get a hold of and take a couple days to work on problem.

But, maybe 1.3.1 would fix it?

Magento Community
Magento Community

EmJaInteractive

Charlotte, NC USA

Updated:

From host: “The server time for all shared server will be CST or Central Standard Time as the server is located in Texas.”

Should I leave Magento on CDT or is EST acceptable?

I got another tester who is testing the web site (using IE7 with XP), here are results:

In Firefox he can add 4 items to cart, when he adds 5th item it removed one so it can not have more then 4.

In IE he can add 1 item to cart, when he adds 2nd it removes the 1st one.

But this tester the “proceed to checkout” works with Firefox and IE. Just he is having issues with add to cart multiple items.

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco

If the time is set correctly I doubt the cookie lifetime will make a difference (72000 for example)

Before I did an upgrade (as I don’t suspect it will help) I would take a look at the Session Validation Settings (Admin -> System -> Configuration -> Web -> Session Validation Settings.

1) Try setting them all to “No”
2) Delete everything in your magento/var/session folder, clear your browser cache and restart your browser

If it works, try turning the back on one at a time until you find out which one is causing you the hassle.

Magento Community
Magento Community

EmJaInteractive

Charlotte, NC USA

skippybosco - 01 May 2009 04:55 PM

If the time is set correctly I doubt the cookie lifetime will make a difference (72000 for example)

Before I did an upgrade (as I don’t suspect it will help) I would take a look at the Session Validation Settings (Admin -> System -> Configuration -> Web -> Session Validation Settings.

1) Try setting them all to “No”
2) Delete everything in your magento/var/session folder, clear your browser cache and restart your browser

If it works, try turning the back on one at a time until you find out which one is causing you the hassle.

Yes, I tried the top 3 NO and then did all 4 NO. But I will try again and remove everything in session folder and try again.

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco

Just saw your update regarding time on the server..

Given that, certainly give bumping up the session time out values 72000 or even 144000 to see if it makes a difference (again, clear your sessions before testing)

Magento Community
Magento Community

EmJaInteractive

Charlotte, NC USA

Looks like I got the “add items to cart” deal fixed by replacing 1 large picture (2mb) with a 100kb picture and now the “add item to cart” does not seem so problematic.

But, I am still getting reports of “cart gets empty when proceed to checkout” is pressed.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Gui
Guru

Total Posts:  588

would love to hear if you finally got this resolved. I seem to have the same issue.

The strange things is it just started one day without changes being made to the config or files. I asked my host and they did not change anything on the server.

In our case though things only happen when “use secure urls in frontend” is enabled. If I disable it you can checkout, but ofc have no ssl.
Our situation is a bit different maybe. We have a mall-domain where the checkout and ssl resides. The other stores send you to the checkout of the mall store.

If you hover over the checkout button on the shop you will see the secure link in the browser. When you click it you are being directed to the shop store and the shopping cart is emptied. The SID though appears to remain the same.

I tried all above suggestions, but they have no effect. Shutting down the ssl does work because you stay on the Shop level during checkout, but this ofc is not preferable.
The time also does not appear to be off.

I think it has something to do with the sessions, but I have no idea how to troubleshoot it. Any help would be appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dave Everson

Total Posts:  1

Urgent!
I am struggling with this same very topic.  I have tried all the suggestions found in this post and others.  I am having no luck what so ever.

What I do that might be different is I have shop.domain.com/ and shop.domain.com/store2.  I have no products in shop.domain.com/ right now and we are launching /store2 first.  I am seeing the issue in /store2. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Willing to pay for solution!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tbird

Total Posts:  26
Germany

Hi at all!

I have the same problem: A Shop at root of the doamin runs perfect.  Today i copied the shop to sub-level (domain.tld/Sub) - and the problem occured.

I tried all tipps from this topic and few hours later wink i found that the “Use Secure URLs in Frontend"-Setting TURN OFF in Config->Web->Secure helps for me. (Clear all cache at magento (/var/session var/cache) and the browser…

I hope this helps all they are going through hell with this bug!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Gui
Guru

Total Posts:  588

Unfortunately, That is not really a solution. If you do that you will lose the secure checkout smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community