Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Product options same for 100s of items, no SKU’s needed

Paulus
Guru

Total Posts:  335

So i have been playing with Magento since june last year and we finally seem to have a semi steady version now.
Still weird stuff with double language options, stores which cannot be deleted and what-not. However, looks better every time....

Now on with the issue:
We sell (among other stuff) coffee & tea.
Coffee can be grinded 10 different ways, 300+ different kinds of coffee.

Can this only be done by using configurable products (making this hell), simple products with customoptions (again, making this hell) or is there any other way I keep overseeing?

V1.2.1

Cheers,
Paul.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

jballotti
Guru

Total Posts:  339
Chicago area

Paulus - 14 February 2009 02:38 AM

So i have been playing with Magento since june last year and we finally seem to have a semi steady version now.
Still weird stuff with double language options, stores which cannot be deleted and what-not. However, looks better every time....

Now on with the issue:
We sell (among other stuff) coffee & tea.
Coffee can be grinded 10 different ways, 300+ different kinds of coffee.

Can this only be done by using configurable products (making this hell), simple products with customoptions (again, making this hell) or is there any other way I keep overseeing?

V1.2.1

Cheers,
Paul.

Using a Configurable product requires that you first create simple products, making the work of creating your catalog very tedious. If you don’t need a separate SKU for each type of grind then you should consider using Custom Options. Once you have created your first Simple product with the Custom Options you want, you can then use the Duplicate Product button to create more Simple Products that will have those same Custom Options, requiring only that you change a couple of attributes (like the SKU) that need to be unique for the new product.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Paulus
Guru

Okay, I forgot the duplicate option which would save some time. But how about this: We imported 2500 products, 500 coffees. How do we go about changing those 500 products easiest to include these grind methods?

Would we be able to import a manually changed file in excel (derived from a dummy export, which would consist of one complete product of each kind (coffee + grinds, tea + standard weights) ). In short, would such an export file include paths/references to these attributes, makin git possible to just copy these cell contents?

TY

Magento Community
Magento Community

Paulus
Guru

Would be totally awesome of you could have an option like:

Do you need grinding?
- Yes
- No

{start if yes}