Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How many options can be added to an attribute?  I need to have 30,000+ options for 1 attribute. 

jlaha

Total Posts:  12

I am going to be making an attribute (input type would be Multiple Select—meaning it’s filterable / layered navigation) that will need to contain 30,000+ options.

Yes… 30,000+ options.  In terms of the approach, this is the correct method because these attribute options will be selected by different products and it need to be filterable.

Now in terms of practicality, I’m wondering the following:

a) how much will this hurt Magento’s performance?
b) can attributes support this many options?
c) when editing a product, the multiple-select list for this attribute will need to load these 30,000 options.  I believe this will overwhelm a general browser and also make it difficult to choose an option in this list (imagine trying to scroll through 30,000 options in a select list… not fun).

Anyway, any general comments would be appreciated.  Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thank you.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

a) Best to try it
b) It *looks* like it’s limited by INT only, so it can easily handle 30K
c) Multi-Selects show in a scrollable textarea so it’s not too ugly luckily. But you still need to scroll in there.

Are you sure you can’t break them up?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community