Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Make Magento more friendly to selling services in addition to products

Peter Rabbit

Total Posts:  5

I’m looking for an ecommerce cart that caters to both the selling of products AND services. My business is mainly services (IT). I would like for a site visitor to be able to add a service to my Magento cart, and during the purchase process, pick not only a day and time for this service to be performed, but other things such as picking a favored technician.

This kind of functionality would benefit all kinds of businesses out there (house cleaners, hair cutteries, salons, restaurants etc.). With so many potential businesses needing this, why has it not gotten any attention? I’ve searched all kinds of Open Source carts and for fee carts and no one seems to have it.

Hopefully, it isn’t a very hard feature to add.

Thanks for your consideration.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

laProbeta

Total Posts:  35

I was missing this since I started to play with Magento. I suscribe it!

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  796

Well you can certainly create a virtual product that has additional attributes that the customer must select (date)

Now having that tie into some kind of calendaring system and technician engine is a whole other beast in and of itself.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Peter Rabbit

Total Posts:  5

Thanks for the reply.

I’m not explaining it carefully enough. By calendaring system, I mean, allow the user to browse to a day of their choice (using week and month navigators), and then to select a time of their choice on that day. If that time is taken, then it would show up as a certain color. I’ve since thought of a different way of displaying this without requiring all those graphics that would make it look “calendarish”. Perhaps a simple list of times would show up once the user has found the day they need. The times would be clickable. e.g.

9:00
10:00
11:00
12:00
2:00

etc.

If the time slot was already taken, the time wouldn’t show up (as in between 12 and 2 pm).

As for the choosing a technician, I can live without that.

Thanks again.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community