Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Error after saving URL settings in the admin

ezprovider

Total Posts:  5
Vancouver

Hello there.

I represent a webhosting company and I am trying to help a customer out with the Magento install.

Our client installed Magento onto a subdomain, like so:

shop.theirdomain.com

Somehow during the install the url was set to:

www.shop.theirdomain.com

Whether they accidentally typed this in or Magento auto fills this in, I don’t know. I suppose it doesn’t matter.

However, the client asked us if it was a server config error, so I double checked apache and it wasn’t. I asked for the admin login to Magento as I assumed that it was a redirect being performed by Magento. Sure enough, I found the settings with the extra “www” in the admin so I removed them and clicked save.

Upon clicking save, I was presented with an error:

-----
Warning: simplexml_load_string() [function.simplexml-load-string]: Entity: line 117: parser error : Extra content at the end of the document in /home/shopbro/public_html/lib/Varien/Simplexml/Config.php on line 500
Trace:
#0 [internal function]: mageCoreErrorHandler(2, ‘simplexml_load_...’, ‘/home/shopbro/p...’, 500, Array)
#1 /home/shopbro/public_html/lib/Varien/Simplexml/Config.php(500): simplexml_load_string(’loadString(’loadFile(’/home/shopbro/p...’)
#4 /home/shopbro/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(242): Mage_Core_Model_Config->init(Array)
#5 /home/shopbro/public_html/app/Mage.php(432): Mage_Core_Model_App->init(’’, ‘store’, Array)
#6 /home/shopbro/public_html/app/Mage.php(453): Mage::app(’’, ‘store’, Array)
#7 /home/shopbro/public_html/index.php(52): Mage::run()
#8 {main}
-----

Also, now the whole site gives the following error:

-----
Warning: simplexml_load_string() [function.simplexml-load-string]: Entity: line 117: parser error : Extra content at the end of the document in /home/shopbro/public_html/lib/Varien/Simplexml/Config.php on line 500
Trace:
#0 [internal function]: mageCoreErrorHandler(2, ‘simplexml_load_...’, ‘/home/shopbro/p...’, 500, Array)
#1 /home/shopbro/public_html/lib/Varien/Simplexml/Config.php(500): simplexml_load_string(’
-----

Unfortunately, I am not a programmer. I can not find any reasons for this error.

Is there some way to fix this? Or will I have to re-install Magento for the client, paying attention to ensure that the “www” subdomain does not slip in?

Thanks,

Shane

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

rainman127

Total Posts:  218

you might try this:

1. open your magento database in phpMyAdmin

2. go to the table core_config_data

3. find web/unsecure/base_url and web/secure/base_url in the path column

4. change the value column to the correct values you need.

5. close phpMyAdmin

open the folder:

“magento install directory"/var/

6. delete everything in that folder except the .htaccess file

7. give it a shot

Magento Community
Magento Community

ezprovider

Vancouver

Hi Rainman.

Thanks for the help. But no love:

-----
a:2:{i:0;s:259:"Warning: simplexml_load_string() [<a href=’function.simplexml-load-string’>function.simplexml-load-string</a>]: Entity: line 117: parser error : Extra content at the end of the document in /home/shopbro/public_html/lib/Varien/Simplexml/Config.php on line 500";i:1;s:862:"#0 [internal function]: mageCoreErrorHandler(2, ‘simplexml_load_...’, ‘/home/shopbro/p...’, 500, Array)
#1 /home/shopbro/public_html/lib/Varien/Simplexml/Config.php(500): simplexml_load_string(’<?xml version=”...’, ‘Mage_Core_Model...’)
#2 /home/shopbro/public_html/lib/Varien/Simplexml/Config.php(488): Varien_Simplexml_Config->loadString(’<?xml version=”...’, ‘Mage_Core_Model...’)
#3 /home/shopbro/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Config.php(184): Varien_Simplexml_Config->loadFile(’/home/shopbro/p...’)
#4 /home/shopbro/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(242): Mage_Core_Model_Config->init(Array)
#5 /home/shopbro/public_html/app/Mage.php(432): Mage_Core_Model_App->init(’’, ‘store’, Array)
#6 /home/shopbro/public_html/app/Mage.php(453): Mage::app(’’, ‘store’, Array)
#7 /home/shopbro/public_html/index.php(52): Mage::run()
#8 {main}”;}
-----

Is the full error from the file in the report dir.

Maybe the full error helps a bit.

Thanks again… altho it looks like a re-install is coming…

Magento Community
Magento Community

ezprovider

Vancouver

Ok, after a bit of going back and forth with the client it was figured out.

The client had installed an “OfflineMaintenance” extension to magento. To get it to work, he had to add some lines to the end of a config file:

-----
<config>
<stores> <!-- overwrite config from Mage/Core/etc/config.xml line 252 -->
<default>
<web>
<routers>
<standard><area>frontend</area><class>Mage_OfflineMaintenance_Controller_Router_Standard</class></standard>
</routers>
</web>
</default>
</stores>
</config>
-----

When he saw the error that Magento was giving after I fixed the “www” subdomain issue, he thought of the lines he added to get his extension working. He removed those lines, and tada - everything works.

Odd but hey, I’ll take it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rainman127

Total Posts:  218

ya know, I installed that extension via Magento Connect & it worked great right out of the box. Go figure

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community