Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Loosing customers due “One Page checkout”

lukasadmin

Total Posts:  10

Hi to all

I switched two shops from ZenCart to Magento last month. Now I finaly have some more data from Goog Analytics. I was amezed why I just a few people bought something. First thing that comes on my mind was economic crysis but .....

Both shops have same problems with this so called one page checkout. This shopping cart is soo anoying for most of my customers that only 10% !!!!! finished chceckout.

Small example:
1257 people added item to cart
962 people go to checkout
ONLY 119 (10%) people finished checkout !!!!!!

There are lot of excessive steps in checkout every one of them lower your chance to get payed.

Magento have
1, Pay like guest button
2, Continue
3, Ship to this adress (Ship to this adress MUST be deflaut choice 90% of people dont use ship to different adress)
4, Continue
5, Shipping details Continue (WHY must be confirmed again ? )
6, Shipping mehod Continue ( WHY is impossible to choose shipping method with adress ?)
7, Payment details Continue
8, Order review FINAL BUTTON congratulation you have lost at least 90 % of your customers

insted of

1, Pay Like guest or register
2, Adress + shipping + payment details
3, Order review FINAL BUTTON
SEE that is right way how to make money

People have really lack of patience when they surf the internet

Can anyone PLEASE make some hack to magento checkout to make it look like this one ?
[url=http://www.volusion.com/onepagecheckoutoverlay.htm]http://www.volusion.com/onepagecheckoutoverlay.htm[/url]

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

Can you please also pull up a report on how many users browse with IE6 and how many of those abandon cart?

Blaming it on the one page checkout entirely is statistically a bit much. Let’s drill down deeper find the real culprit.

Up until now, more people report increased conversation than reduced so I’d really like to look into your specific case with more detail.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Nizumzen

Total Posts:  26

Well they have the option to not use the one page checkout on the roadmap already, so it is just a case of when it is released.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lukasadmin

Total Posts:  10

Checkout tested on IE6,7 FF, Opera and sems to work propertly.
Browser report:

IE 6 32 %
IE 7 41 %
FF 21 %
OP 4 %
others 2%

To be honest I dont think that main problem is with IE6,
People are just used to simple things ..... can you imagine that signup page for some service like gmail is on more tha one page ? Main problem is beause a lot of really annoying clicking on NEXT etc.... 

We tried to put some people and watch them during shopping.
It takes two times more time to pay on Magento checkout than on this one:  http://www.volusion.com/onepagecheckoutoverlay.htm

LESS fields > better
Less continue/next buttons > better
PLACE ORDER BUTTON MUST be on same page as all customer details.

Try to buy something here: http://www.kabelkysnu.cz/Esschrt-destnik-potisk-podzimni-listy#
If you dont understand just click purple shopping bag and then you can see checkout called: Nákupní košík
See ? Simple and efective

Cart summary - automaticaly updated
Payment method
Shipping
Adress
> another shipment adress if needed
Place order

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

Thanks for the browser report. Now, what happens if you combine the two?

Run your funnel stats on IE6 users only. See what happens.

I guess it also depends on your audience. We have a lot of “not so savvy” shoppers who like to do things step by step and get some guidance.

Perhaps surprisingly smile I agree with SisterTwisted and urge you to come up with a better way.

I always reasoned that a good starting point would be multi-million dollar companies like Amazon. They’ve spend a lot of money on usability testing. Their checkout is mega-long yet they take thousands of orders per minute. So it can’t be all bad! I know yo can’t take one implementation and expect it to perform likewise on your own shop/audience but it’s a good starting point. Steps-wise, Amazon isn’t too different from Magento. Maybe your visitors are fickle and impatient!

Some inspiration:

http://www.nngroup.com/reports/ecommerce/checkout.html
http://www.designvsart.com/blog/2008/03/10/designing-a-checkout-process-8-rules-7-examples/
http://www.usabilitynews.com/news/article5388.asp
http://www.userfocus.co.uk/articles/basketusability.html

Etc.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jonathan123

Total Posts:  215

I have to disagree about Amazon’s checkout. I HATE their checkout simply because I can checkout so fast. I can open Amazon.com right now and order anything and have it ordered in 10 seconds, checkout, login, place order, done. (This is of course due to having an account and payment information saved)

I think there IS room for more efficiency(or at least, flexibility) in the Magento checkout - unfortunately I do not do the volume to allow or justify paying someone for the necessary improvements. Some things that come to mind:
Accounts should be easy to disable/make very hidden. Accounts are great for some customers, but some new customers jet when they see the login form. I know I’ve personally bought from a different store (even if it cost me a little more) when I HAD to sign up for an account. I realize Magento does have “Guest” checkout, but there ought to be an option to disable accounts. I’m sure you’ve all read about the $300 million button: http://www.uie.com/articles/three_hund_million_button

Able to disable separate billing/shipping address(in my business, we can only ship to the billing address due to outrageously high fraud so I’d rather allow them to enter only one address).

I’d like to disable requiring (or even asking for) telephone and fax.

Zip code should be filled in if it was provide for a quote, and the State can be determined by using the zip code, the customer shouldn’t have to fill it in.

Error messages should be able to be customized to give more information (especially when a payment is declined).

Declined CC orders should be SAVED so that the order can be processed later if possible (if they had a hold on their card that has since been removed for instance).

This one is a big further out there, but I have no doubt it would increase sales: If the customer has already entered in their email address, but does not complete checkout, send them a link a day later that would enable them to continue the order, do not subscribe them to any lists or anything, just a one time “hey, you didn’t finish checking out...” or maybe just ask them WHY they didn’t…

Magento Community
Magento Community

ShopGuy
Guru

Total Posts:  462

I also hate amazon’s checkout. It is way too busy and the most confusing of all big shops, IMO. I think newegg offers a very nice, direct checkout without having to view related, suggested, recommended, best-seller, etc products between every pageview.

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  796

lukasadmin, I see no mention as to how your abandonment numbers compare to your osc installation (true GA numbers)..

What do you use as a payment provider? PayPal, Authorize.NET, etc?

If you use PayPal, the GA numbers are a bit misleading as users have to optionally return back to your site from PayPal.

Disregarding the analytic numbers, are your sales ($$) down as well?

Magento Community
Magento Community

TGM

Total Posts:  69

3, Ship to this adress (Ship to this adress MUST be deflaut choice 90% of people dont use ship to different adress)

I think this is a big thing that must be addressed. Its very annoying if you don’t spot it and your asked to to enter everything again :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  796

The following modification to the isUseBillingAddressForShipping() function in app/code/core/Mage/Checkout/Block/Onepage/Billing.php will set the Ship to this address as the default.

public function isUseBillingAddressForShipping()
{

if (($this->getQuote()->getIsVirtual()) || (!$this->getQuote()->getShippingAddress()->getSameAsBilling()))

{

return true;

else {

return false;

}
}

original code

public function isUseBillingAddressForShipping()
{

if (($this->getQuote()->getIsVirtual()) || !$this->getQuote()->getShippingAddress()->getSameAsBilling()) 

{

return false;

}

return true;
}

some other options here

Magento Community
Magento Community

TGM

Total Posts:  69

perfect such a simple change that works smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

furnitureforyoultd
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  833

Whilst on the subject of changing the one page checkout, is it possible to skip the entire “Checkout as a Guest or Register” step altogether and have it go straight to the billing information tab? the way I see it, any user that wants to register can do so separately and not when they’re looking to complete an order, if they do plan on returning and purchasing again they can always use the log in link near the top.

Magento Community
Magento Community

AITOC
Guru

Total Posts:  618
US

Hi, please check our new 1-Click Order extension http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/1196/1-click-order . It can improve user experience significantly and simplify the purchasing process.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Anna Varmon

Total Posts:  27

It can be a great addition to the magento. Do you provide a demo?

Magento Community
Magento Community

AITOC
Guru

Total Posts:  618
US

hi, Anna

Live demo available at http://store.aitoc.com/

Demo Username:
Demo Password: welcome

Magento Community
Magento Community

erwanpia

Total Posts:  41
Locronan, Brittany

Hi, this is an important topic

one page checkout is a nice feature but needs enhancements.

I have worked on the shopping cart display during the checkout:  customers should be allowed to review their order at any stage of their order confirmation process, especially before they pay

solution is not that hard if you dare to look in layout/checkout.xml, simply add the following block to checkout_onepage_index and checkout_onepage_progress sections :

<block type="checkout/cart_sidebar" before="-" name="catalog.cart.sidebar"    template="checkout/cart/sidebarCheckout.phtml"/>

<block type="checkout/cart_sidebar" output="toHtml"  name="catalog.cart.sidebar"    template="checkout/cart/sidebarCheckout.phtml"/>

details and phtml template for the one page checkout enhancement are available on webmaster bulletin

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2