Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Blank Page? (Upgrade)

Rousie

Total Posts:  58

Tried to upgrade my 1.1.8 installation earlier to be greeted by a screen telling me i have insufficient write permissions....

After trawling the forums, i fixed this problem and onto the Magento Connect manager....

Clicked on “Check for Upgrades” and nothing came up, so i pasted the key “magento-core/Mage_All_Latest” which i was told to do…

The report screen scrolled lots of things, and said it had finished....

I then pressed refresh, and all i got was a blank page.....

... and thats still all i get now..... When trying to click on the magento connect manager, i just get a blank page!

I notice in my browser it says “http://www.domain.co.uk/magento/downloader/?return=http://www.domain.co.uk/store/index.php/admin/”

And thats it :(

I’ve got a half live store and i dont know what to do next - been looking for hours.

Thanks all, any help would be much appreciated.

Dean

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Rousie

Total Posts:  58

No-one any ideas? :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

ph4nt0m

Total Posts:  1

I have the exact same problem as this, did you ever find a fix for it ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

Open up your index.php file and uncomment this line:

#ini_set('display_errors', 1);

So it looks like this:

ini_set('display_errors'1);

Refresh the page and report back what error comes up. There should also be an error file in your public HTML directory, usually called error_log.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tequila

Total Posts:  4
Guadalajara, Mexico

Hi Crucial,

In my case, the errors registered in the error_log read as follows:

PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined method Mage::isinstalled() in
/[mydomain]httpdocs/magento/downloader/Maged/Controller.php on line 384

PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined method Mage::isinstalled() in
/[mydomain]/httpdocs/magento/downloader/Maged/Model/Session.php on line 33

I hope my experience, which I describe through the following list of performed actions, can be of help to those having similar problems.

1. The first version I installed was Magento 1.1.8. (I had a smooth installation)
2. Then I began testing Magento adding a couple of products (software worked fine)
3. I decided to upgrade to Magento 1.2.1.2 using Magento Connect
4. My hosting is on a shared server with no SSH
5. I had to chmod every single directory, one by one, to 777 via FTP
6. My hosting provider was reluctant to help with this issue
7. Once every directory was changed to 777, Magento Connect became happy
8. I entered key ‘magento-core/Mage_All_Latest’ and installation started
9. Problems began after pressing the REFRESH button
10. I got a blank page and neither the frontend nor the backend worked at this moment
11. The Magento Connect didn’t work either but some errors were being displayed
12. All the errors had one thing in common: an incomplete upgrade (concluded after code review)
13. Some installed programs belonged to 1.1.8 and some other to 1.2.1.2 (concluded after files comparison)
14. The errors, including the ones posted above, were caused by an incomplete upgrade (different versions running)
15. Many threads I read were related to this same problem
16. Weird problems arise when a program from version A calls a program from version B
17. I managed to get frontend, backend and Magento Connect work by uploading some php files from both versions
18. I ended up with a Magento installation having a combination of 1.1.8 and 1.2.1.2 versions (not my intention)
19. That is why some threads report that Magento Connect won’t upgrade
20. In my case, I had the 1.2.1.2 files uploaded to the proper downloader’s download directory
21. Although the version displayed was 1.1.8 both in frontend and backend, Magento Connect won’t allow upgrade
22. I decided to upload 1.2.1.2 files manually via FTP
23. This time I had a complete installation working “fine” but database hadn’t been upgraded
24. Now, while using Magento, some database-related errors were reported
25. Since this was a test environment, I finally erased everything and installed 1.2.1.2 (fresh installation from scratch)

The following is the installation log reported by Magento Connect before screen went black:

Did not download optional dependencies: pear/XML_RPC, use --alldeps to download
automatically
pear/PEAR can optionally use package “pear/XML_RPC” (version >= 1.4.0)
downloading Mage_All_Latest-1.2.1.2.tgz ...
install ok: channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Lib_LinLibertineFont-1.1.1
install ok: channel://pear.php.net/Archive_Tar-1.3.2
install ok: channel://pear.php.net/Structures_Graph-1.0.2
install ok: channel://pear.php.net/Console_Getopt-1.2.3
install ok: channel://pear.php.net/PEAR-1.7.2
install ok: channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Mage_Pear_Helpers-1.0.18800
install ok: channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Lib_Google_Checkout-1.2.0
install ok: channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Lib_Js_Calendar-1.2.0
install ok: channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Lib_Js_Prototype-1.2.0
install ok: channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Lib_Js_Ext-1.0.18800
install ok: channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Lib_ZF_Locale-1.7.2.1
install ok: channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Mage_Downloader-1.2.1
install ok: channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Lib_Js_Mage-1.2.1
ERROR: failed to write
/MyDomain/httpdocs/magento/lib/Zend/Service/Nirvanix/Namespace/.tmpBase.php:
copy(/MyDomain/httpdocs/magento/lib/Zend/Service/Nirvanix/Namespace/.tmpBase.php)
[function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied
install ok: channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Lib_Varien-1.2.1
/MyDomain/httpdocs/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Admin/etc/.tmpconfig.xml:
copy(/MyDomain/httpdocs/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Admin/etc/.tmpconfig.xml)
/MyDomain/httpdocs/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Adminhtml/Block/Api/Grid/.tmpRole.php:
copy(/MyDomain/httpdocs/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Adminhtml/Block/Api/Grid/.tmpRole.php)
install ok: channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Interface_Frontend_Default-1.2.1
install ok: channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Interface_Install_Default-1.2.1
install ok: channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Interface_Adminhtml_Default-1.2.1.2
install ok: channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Mage_All_Latest-1.2.1.2
PEAR: Optional feature webinstaller available (PEAR’s web-based installer)
PEAR: Optional feature gtkinstaller available (PEAR’s PHP-GTK-based installer)
PEAR: Optional feature gtk2installer available (PEAR’s PHP-GTK2-based installer)
PEAR: To install optional features use “pear install pear/PEAR#featurename”

I believe I followed the correct procedures both when installing 1.1.8 and when upgrading to 1.2.1.2, that is, I simply followed Magento’s guides. I know a shared hosting is not the best habitat for an e-Commerce application. That is why this is just a test environment for learning and evaluating Magento. The real challenge will arise when I have to upgrade a production site. My worst fear was not having full control over Magento Connect and not having enough information to determine the real cause of this partial upgrade problem.

However, I think Magento is worth the effort.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

In your error logs you see several permission denied errors. This means that the web server was not able to write to those files. You will either need to relax the file permissions to e.g. 777, or change the file owner to match that of the web server.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tequila

Guadalajara, Mexico

Hi Sindre,

Thank you for your comments.

I would appreciate an answer to the following four questions:

1. Magento Connect ask you to chmod directories to 777, not files (see http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/groups/227/magento_connect). In both versions (1.1.8 & 1.2.1.2), the directory /magento/lib/Zend/Service/Nirvanix/Namespace has two files: Base.php and Imfs.php. If permissions in this specific directory wouldn’t have changed to 777, then I think the update process should have displayed errors for both files. Is my appreciation wrong?

2. What should I have done to solve these three “failed to write” errors?

3. What if a single directory didn’t have 777 permissions? Would Magento Connect detect this situation before starting the upgrade process?

4. I am a little bit confused about Magento Connect procedure. I understand this is a two-step process. First, you have to download the files you want to install. In my case, by pasting magento-core/Mage_All_Lates as the extension key to install. Then, after the files have been downloaded, you have to select which modules you want to upgrade. However, in my case, some files were upgraded from 1.1.8 to 1.2.1.2 without having to click the Check for Upgrades button. That was the first time I was using Magento Connect. Should it be a one-step or two-step process?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

First of all, Magento Connect does not require 777 permissions, but your server may require it. It is a misconception that Magento always requires 777 permissions. It depends on whether PHP scripts are executed under the same user as the web server (e.g. Apache), or as the script/account owner (usually achieved by suEXEC/suPHP). What is important is that the script is able to write to the necessary files/directories. If your server were running suEXEC/suPHP, scripts already have write permissions to your own files and therefore you will rarely encounter permission issues. In this scenario, the default 644 for files and 755 for directories is fine. Please note, 777 permissions might be a security risk especially in a shared hosting environment.

To ensure flawless operation of Magento Connect, virtually every directory AND file must be writable, as an upgrade could potentially replace the entire code base.

Regarding 4) I believe Magento Connect will always upgrade the core modules to the latest available version when installing an extension. When you install magento-core/Mage_All_Latest, all the latest Magento core modules are downloaded and installed. When a new version is released, you click the Check for Upgrades button and then select to upgrade Mage_All_Latest. Do not upgrade the modules individually.

I hope this helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tequila

Guadalajara, Mexico

Hi Sindre,

Thank you for clarifying this very sensitive issue.

Now I know that the first time you use MagentoConnect Manager you will see no extensions. Once you paste magento-core/Mage_All_Latest in the extension key field and click Install button, this will install all latest MagentoConnect core packages on top of existing files and will keep a list of extensions to be used for future upgrades.

I already upgraded to 1.3.0 from 1.2.1.2 using Magento Connect. The update process was easy, fast and clean. It took me just a few minutes and no errors were reported. This time I asked my hosting provider to modify 777 permissions for directories, leaving file permissions intact.

Frontend, backend and downloader are working fine after upgrading to 1.3.0.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Tequila: I am glad you got it sorted out! smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

atlantide

Total Posts:  187
France

I also get a blank page when using Magento Downloader.

When I add ini_set(’display_errors’, 1); to index.php (magento root), I can’t see any error_log file anywhere.

Does anyone have an idea ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

atlantide

France

I also get a blank page when using Magento Downloader.

When I add ini_set(’display_errors’, 1); to index.php (magento root), I can’t see any error_log file anywhere.

Does anyone have an idea ?…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

@atlantide: Is the list of extensions empty or is the entire page blank? If the former is the case, you have to enter “magento-core/Mage_All_Latest” in the Extension Key field and click Install. After the process has completed, the installed extensions should show up. If the entire page is blank, you might need to enable PHP error reporting on the server in order to see the exact error message.

Magento Community
Magento Community

atlantide

France

Thank you for your help

I was in the second case : impossible to see anything from the downloader page.

I turned on error log in php.ini

I added to index.php (magento root) :

ini_set(’display_errors’1);

Now I get the following error :

Fatal errorCall to undefined method PEAR_Error::set() in /home/.../www/downloader/Maged/Pear.php on line 105

I unmodified index.php, but still get the same error.

Any idea ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Sounds like some of the core modules are corrupted/missing. If you have SSH access, you can try to reinstall them manually:

(run from Magento root directory)

./pear mage-setup .
./
pear install -f magento-core/Mage_All_Latest

Once the above command has completed, clear your cache (rm -rf var/cache/*) and try to reload the Magento Connect window.

I hope this helps! smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

helpinghandhost

Total Posts:  171

One possible option is to backup everything, do a MySQL dump of the db, reinstall Magento from scratch(with same version), and then upload the MySQL data. That way you know you have everything installed correctly.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2