Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 4
Downloadable product - link is not available

gman55

Total Posts:  3

I’m trying to get downloadable products to work, but for some reason, the download link in the email and on the customer account page in the Downloadable Products section returns “Link is not available”

I’m using version 1.2.0.1 but I set up a test store with 1.2.1 and have the same problem.

I searched these forums and tried many of the suggestions already, but none have worked:

-setting the Manage Stock inventory to No
-changing the download allow setting to Pending and Processing
-setting Max downloads to a set number and unlimited
-trying both File and URL links
-trying with a zero price and an actual price

All the orders just say Processing on the admin side, and Pending on the customer account side. Although I found when I Hold an order, then Unhold it, it changes to Completed on the admin side, but stays Pending on the customer account side....but I still get the error when I try to download the product.

Has anyone else had any success with Downloadable products? Is there anything else I could try?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
G

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco

Total Posts:  796

Are you using live orders or test orders?

Are you “invoicing” the order (which is what triggers the link to go active)

Magento Community
Magento Community

gman55

I’m using live orders.

I’m not sure what is involved with invoicing the order. When I look at the list of orders, and when I view an order, I don’t see any options to “invoice” or “Ship”. When I try to Print Invoice for a particular order, I get a blank page.

However, for a downloadable product, I want it to automatically process and allow the customer to download the purchased pdf immediately. I don’t want them to have to wait until something is done on the backend before they can download. I believe Magento can do this, but at this point I’m just not sure.

Also, I’m using Paypal direct, and the payment action is set to “Sale”...not sure if that matters, but I read something about that in the user manual.

Thanks very much,

Gary

Magento Community
Magento Community

arthur_br

Total Posts:  13
Maringá-PR, Brazil

Hey man, same problem here.

I am testing Magento 1.2.1 on a local server (Ubuntu).
Are you running it locally or remotely?

Regards,
Arthur

Magento Community
Magento Community

arthur_br

Maringá-PR, Brazil

Solved my issue changing the owner of file.
Believe it was only something with permissions…

Magento Community
Magento Community

gman55

I am running it remotely on a linux server.

So you changed the owner of the downloadable file? Please provide details and I’ll try it on my end.

Thanks,
G

Magento Community
Magento Community

arthur_br

Maringá-PR, Brazil

Sorry, I was too precipitated.

Yes, I changed file owner for my user with “chown” and permissions to “777” for the downloadable file.
Now, instead of your message “Link is not available”, I get the message “Sorry, there was an error getting requested content. Please contact store owner.”

The difference is I am trying this locally.
The status of transaction is complete/faturated.

Will keep trying an notify you of any success.

Magento Community
Magento Community

arthur_br

Maringá-PR, Brazil

Hi again,

Now I have got it working.

After some hours debugging magento code and database, I have found out that when a purchase of a downloadable product is made, the URL link that is set IN THAT MOMENT for the product is then assigned to the register in the database of that purchase.

In other words, no matter how much you change the product link configuration after that, if in the purchase time the URL was wrong, it will be wrong forever.

Changing the register to a valid URL also returned me the same error message, but the log files took me to another place in the link validation, so URL was OK now!

Debugging a bit more, I found out that I had also a 403 (forbidden) code. It is a pity that error messages are not right or clear enough, and I had to insert my own log messages in exceptions to discover these issues.

Anyway, changing my .htaccess file to allow access in the folder that contained the file solved the ultimate problem.
And remember to have a complete URL for the products, as the validation looks for a “http” substring in the URL.

Hope this helps someone.
Regards,
Arthur.

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco

Total Posts:  796

arthur_br, thanks for sharing.

So at the end of it all, did you only have to modify your .htaccess? Can you post the changes you made?

Magento Community
Magento Community

arthur_br

Maringá-PR, Brazil

My pleasure.

Actually I had to do 3 things:

1. Correct the URL for the downloadable product, using a full domain link (including “http” substring);

2. Fix the purchase link. Since I am only testing, I modified the database row manually, but in the real world I presume you should have to replace the client order with a similar new one.

3. Modify .htaccess file. Again, as I am testing locally, I have only inverted permissions for the directory with:
Order Allow,Deny
Allow from all

No problem for now, but I will have to handle security when the store is online, for sure.

Anytime.

Arthur.

Magento Community
Magento Community

openlatee

Total Posts:  31

arthur_br - 13 February 2009 02:50 PM

My pleasure.

Actually I had to do 3 things:

1. Correct the URL for the downloadable product, using a full domain link (including “http” substring);

2. Fix the purchase link. Since I am only testing, I modified the database row manually, but in the real world I presume you should have to replace the client order with a similar new one.

3. Modify .htaccess file. Again, as I am testing locally, I have only inverted permissions for the directory with:
Order Allow,Deny
Allow from all

No problem for now, but I will have to handle security when the store is online, for sure.

Anytime.

Arthur.

Hi, can you please give more detailed information ? ... im a non-programmer magento user, and im having this trouble. Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

arthur_br

Maringá-PR, Brazil

Hey, man. Never realized another post here.

What error message are you getting?

Regards,

Arthur.

Magento Community
Magento Community

DDMAN

Total Posts:  179

Arthur,

I tried everything you suggested in your post

1. correct url (I manually copied the url into a browser window and it found the file
2. I checked that the purchase link was the same as the url and it is
3. I put a .htaccess in the directory
4. changed all directory and file permissions to 777

End result is I get the message

Sorry, there was an error getting requested content. Please contact store owner.

Any other ideas?

Magento Community
Magento Community

DDMAN

Quick update.

I was able to successfully download a product by registering as a new customer.

For some reason the customer that I used previously (who is associated to a customer group and to the website) caused the download to not function properly.

It may be a bug… I’ll do a little more testing and see what comes up.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mass Enthusiasm

Total Posts:  4

I need some serious help on this matter. I can’t seem to get past the Sorry, there was an error getting requested content. Please contact store owner. error. Please help, I have a huge file 450MB that I’ve uploaded to my server and added the downloadable product, but it fails. I’ve tried everything I could find and nothing works.

Magento Community
Magento Community

DDMAN

Double check the url. If that is good then try using a different file that is really small like a txt file and see it it works that way.

I’m assuming that when you log into that account it shows the download and it shows that it is active and has available downloads to use.

In my experience the only times that it hasn’t worked is if the file name was not correct or the file was too big for my server settings.

I would recommend no spaces and no capitals in the urls to download the file.

Also if you are uploading the file using magento try simply putting the file on the server via ftp and then using the file url rather then the upload.

Let me know how it goes.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 4