Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Donations

PocketRevolutionary

Total Posts:  2

I work with non-profits a lot and I know that the one killer thing I need for Magento is handling donations. I’ve been using FishCart for this in the past but I was wondering if that was on the roadmap specifically. I know that “virtual products” is planned for Q1 2008 but didn’t know if that included donations. Either way, I’d be willing to help get that moving as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

PocketRevolutionary - We don’t have a donation-specific-product type on the road-map. Here at Varien we had many projects for non-profit organizations. I was just wondering from your experience how do you think a donation product should work?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

I think an important aspect (of course) would be a flexible/custom “price”. Perhaps even multiple set “prices” along with the custom chosen amount. Would it be possible to do this with a single item? Or could it be a grouped item with multiple single items of varying price, and one single item with a custom price? And it may be nice to have a minimum amount. Let’s say I want to sell an item for a minimum donation of $5. But they can enter any amount. It might also be nice if they mis-type the amount and throw in a few extra zeros… before the decimal of course!

Magento Community
Magento Community

PocketRevolutionary

Total Posts:  2

We have two different kinds of donation options in FishCart sites right now: We have a basic “cart-like” form that donors can fill out with a a flexible donation amount and checkout immediately and we also have a step right before checkout with a quick “would you like to donate?” screen (we both sell products and take donations). The basics for a donation product would be a product with custom pricing as Scott mentioned above. A really good donation product would be able to have recurring monthly pledges.

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

Thanks for the reply. We will keep all this in mind smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

stikerd

Total Posts:  4

Is this still being worked on? this would be amazing if reply #3 would happen!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Luke cp

Total Posts:  11

Just Wondering is this possible yet? I work for a non-profit and this is a major concern for us. Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

sarahlou

Total Posts:  6

Hi - has anyone developed a way to handle donations yet?  This is a major concern for us too… Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

upeace

Total Posts:  1

This also would be a huge thing for our organization.  As PocketRevolutionary and Scott indicated above, our non-profit needs the ability to make re-curring donations simple. 

Also, the ability to allow the user to define the price (in this case the donation amount).  Since it’s a gift, we don’t want them to have to fit whatever mold of giving that we created.  We would like them to be able to name their own price and the frequency of its recurrence (if any).  This would be most useful as it pertains to our missionaries. 

We also want to be able to post special projects as items for purchase.  So, if one of our foreign fields needs 5 basketballs, we can post 5 different basketballs for like $20 each or something like that.  The end user can then choose to “buy” one or all of the basketballs, or maybe even buy half of a basketball, so the ability for flexible pricing needs to be accessible there as well.

If there is a Magento solution to this that I have not yet come across, I would love to hear about it.  If not, if anyone has alternative suggestions, all ideas are welcome.

Magento Community
Magento Community

geoffT

Total Posts:  23

I assume no progress has been made on this since the last post, but thought I’d also throw my interest in the mix.  Having the ability to receive donations (customer ability to set the price) would be great.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jase Clamp

Total Posts:  19

Yes… I would like to bump this thread also. We do alot of work for non profits also. I’ve had two 1mm+ orgs ask for this feature in the last month.

Magento Community
Magento Community

culvi

Total Posts:  3

Has anyone had any success implementing this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

groover

Total Posts:  14

My quick and free (important for non-profits) solution using paypal:

Create a virtual product called “Make a donation (any amount)”

Give it a price of something low like $10.

Example description:

To donate multiples of $10 please add multiples of this donation item to your cart.

To donate a different amount please go here and enter the amount.

For the different amount link use:

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=my@emailaddress.org&item;_name=Donation&amount;=0.00

If the user clicks the link they will be taken to PayPal where they can fill in any amount they want.

Andy

Magento Community
Magento Community

byron.winters

Total Posts:  1

Try this out: http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/2058/donations-ultimate

Magento Community
Magento Community

MageWorxcom
Guru

Total Posts:  410
Washington DC Metro Area, US

Hello,

The link to Donations Ultimate has been changed since Magento Connect upgrade. Here is the correct one:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/MageWorx.com/extension/2405/donations

Magento Community
Magento Community

beanstalkgiving

Total Posts:  6
Denver, Colorado

Hi Do Gooders!

I wanted to introduce you guys to Beanstalk Giving and our Checkout Tool for Micro-donations that can be found here: http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/packages/module/4981/bg_microdonations

This extension might meet the needs of some of you and if not, please let us know which features and functionality are missing - we’d be happy to work with you guys to make something that fits with your goals.

Thanks,

The Beanstalk Giving Team

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2