Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
QuickBooks Sync Group Discussion

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

Created to bring together those interested in a data bridge between Magento and QuickBooks, the QuickBooks Sync Group is well underway and actively dreaming up what we hope will soon be the initial output of our collective group input and efforts. This forum thread is meant to represent an input medium for both group members and interested parties to produce their ideas and requests, as well as ask questions and provide answers to questions about this module.

Topics Include:
* Discussion of Member Roles
* Feature Ideas and Requests
* Implementation Ideas and Questions
* Any other QuickBooks related details

Thanks again to all the members who’ve decided to become a part of this group. If you aren’t a member yet, get all the details here.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Northwest Ohio

I want to get the ball rolling here by asking specifically about features. What data do you want to be able to synchronize between the two systems? Ideally, the data should be able to go both directions as much as possible (Magento -> QuickBooks and QuickBooks -> Magento).

My initial thoughts include:
* Customers and Customer Data: Names, Addresses and Contact Information, Memberships/Customer Groups, Past Products Purchased
* Order Information: Current Orders as well as Order History, Possibly Payment Details
* Catalog Data: Products and Product Attributes, Product Pricing and Discounts (as possible), Inventory
* Tax Data: Tax Classes

Anyone able to think of anything else? Be sure to add those features and we will keep a tally in this post or via the group wiki (or both).

Also, feel free to ask any other questions or make any other suggestions you may have. Better to write it down now, than forget about it later. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

romy

Total Posts:  3

howdy,
i’ve read the announcement about DataFlow, but i can’t find any technical documentation on this.  does it exist, if so, where?  in particular, for QB Sync we will need to get a SOAP server on Magento.  any ideas/examples on how to do this?
thanks,
romy

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Northwest Ohio

According to Moshe, the DataFlow module is currently under revisions in order to support larger products as well as super products. No one has spoke up specifically about their being an API for it in particular. From this thread it is apparent that we will need to create our own adapter for the QuickBooks Sync module. There are a few rough details about getting started there, but I believe there will not be any more documentation on it, or how to make our own extensions until we see the stable release.

Regarding the SOAP server, this may already be a possibility. Magento is based on the Zend Framework (although I’m not sure what version they are currently using). Zend Framework is currently in preview release for its 1.5 version. This new version is supposed to contain a Zend_Soap_Server class. The class was initially proposed here, which contains some proposed implementation information and code samples. And according to this issue tracker page the Zend team seems to be targeting this feature for their first release candidate. No release date has been announced for that yet, and it’s still not necessarily going to include the soap server, that’s just an ideal. But it seems to be in the works. Until then, I’m sure Magento is using the latest stable release. So we may have to develop a workaround in the mean time.

Walterbyrd did come across this PHP5 QuickBooks Integration framework which may prove helpful in the process of developing our sync module.

Only time will tell as all these things come together. But that shouldn’t stop us from making progress in the grand scheme of things. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

weismannweb

Total Posts:  6
NY

I know some code written by the maker of Ubercart that may be useful for this project.  Although it was one of the first programs he built it doesn’t look to bad.  The abilities are somewhat limited but can be expanded upon.  I have a project proposal that has not been approved yet for building integration with quickbooks.  If it ever gets approved and I do the work I would gladly give back to the community.  My only suggestion would be to kill two birds with one stone by creating a class for the Zend Framework that does all the work of connecting to quickbooks and creates the QBXML and sends it to quickbooks then parses the returned QBXML and returns an array or object with the data requested.  Then all database operations would be done by the programmer looking to use such a class.  I believe thats the best way to do this in order to enhance code reusability and maintenance.

Here is a link to the code mentioned and it includes a class to create QBXML which could be useful:

http://www.ubercart.org/forum/quickbooks_integration/228/quickbooks_resources

Henry C. Wesmann IV
Weismann Web, DBA

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Northwest Ohio

I see a couple things in that package that look useful. The NuSOAP rewite looks interesting. I know we’ll be needing a SOAP server, as the Zend Framework’s SOAP server is a work in progress. The other implementations could prove useful as an example of interfacing with the QuickBooks Web Connector, although the code itself isn’t the best or most efficient method of executing PHP(5). Thanks for the link Henry.

Magento Community
Magento Community

David Nicholson

Total Posts:  4

We need to setup a link with Quickbooks UK, no QBWC though so it makes it more tricky! Any ideas or other non US users of Quickbooks?

Magento Community
Magento Community

infield

Total Posts:  89
San Francisco

Has any progress been made on this. We have a project coming up which we would love to use Magento for but it has QB as a requirement. We can contribute with testing and docs. Hope this comes together. Would love to start using Magento. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tim [at] Sprout

Total Posts:  8
Orange County, CA

I’m also curious about the progress?

Having quickbooks integration is in high demand by most of our e-commerce clients, are there any plans for Magento (Varien) to write this if the community group falls through?

Worse case we may just have to write it in house but then that goes against the benefit of open source.

Magento Community
Magento Community

infield

Total Posts:  89
San Francisco

Please try and put your efforts towards a community extension, everyone benefits. Once 1.0 is out I’m hopeful that there will be a big push on this. We can’t help much with coding, but we can contribute in other ways. Please post if you need help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tim [at] Sprout

Total Posts:  8
Orange County, CA

Yes, if we have to write something in house we will consider releasing it back to the community.

For now, it might help us if others could suggest what we need / don’t need to export out to Quickbooks. Magento treats orders a bit different than some other applications. There are not only the orders themselves but the various invoices that can be created based on the original order. I would assume we want to export the invoices.

So as you can see there are some non-programming tasks to be done and flushed out. Getting this mapped out and a global view of what we want to export will definitely help us all.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Northwest Ohio

Tim H, you are 100% right about open-source community involvement. That’s why the QB Sync group was setup. Feel free to join the group if you haven’t already. wink

All the technical details, including features and module development approach, are already being discussed in the QB Sync Overview wiki: http://www.magentocommerce.com/group/blog/action/viewpost/242/group/188/

Anyone who has a “want” or “don’t want” as Tim put it, can join the group and contribute to this collective resource.

Fact is, we’ve already begun the development of the module. It’s still in its initial stages as a module, but within the next couple weeks I expect it will make some headway. One of the obstacles in development is the DataFlow module on Magento’s end. They are revising how the module works, and our initial thoughts have been to extend that pre-existing functionality into the QB Sync module. More details will be announced in the weeks ahead, but stay tuned.

cool smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Northwest Ohio

Sorry if anyone got the impression that the group was dead, we’ve just been waiting for the Magento team to revise the DataFlow module as was previously announced. DataFlow could be a real time saver, but we must wait until they’ve revised it. None of us saw the use in developing a full-fledged module based on pre-stable code.

Moshe says they expect the retooled DataFlow module to be ready with the 1.0 release. I just hope that’s the truth. They’re keeping fairly tight-lipped about it, as they do most things.

wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

snarkys

Total Posts:  124

it would be incredible if you could pull tracking information from quickbooks and import it into the customers order information.

we use ship gear to pull shipping info from our orders into UPS worldship. I believe that it also updates the quickbooks file with the actual cost to ship and tracking number.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Northwest Ohio

That’s certainly a good idea, I’ll be sure to add it to the wishlist.

Magento Community
Magento Community

snarkys

Total Posts:  124

If you had to guess, how log would you expect this project to take? not a hard date but a guess on how long a project like this normaly takes.

I ask because our website design firm has sold us on the move from creloaded to magento but there is no way we can do that without an automated system for entering invoices into our accounting software and an automated shipping process( quickbooks-> shipgear-> ups worldship ).  After working with this automated process for the last year it would feel like stepping back into the stone age .

Id hate have them start building this for us and then have it sit unused for a year while we wait for this to come out. If it is a few months then it is not a big deal.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2