Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Speeding Up Magento

galvingreenonline

Total Posts:  11
Manchester, UK

Does anyone have any ideas on how to speed up Magento, I’m already using GZIP compression and I plan to move the images from .jpg to .png to decrease file size. The feedback I’m getting at the moment is that it loads extremely slow, 20 seconds in some cases. I’ve installed YSlow and it reports around 5 seconds load times and I’ve tried multiple speed tests which report around 2-3 seconds load times. I do plan to move it over to a dedicated server at some point but as its only a trial at this stage I don’t want to throw money at it. The website in question is galvingreenonline.co.uk

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

There are a lot of threads as well as a good wiki and very helpful group on this topic.

What you can do more includes, but isn’t limited to:

Moving cache/session files to tmpfs or memcached
Disallow OverRide and move htaccess contents into VirtualHost
Enable and tweak MySQL Query Cache
Tweak my.cnf
Tweak php.ini
Tweak httpd.conf
Enable and tweak opcache such as APC
Disable log writing
Follow YSlow instructions on removing http requests etc.

Magento Community
Magento Community

balero

Total Posts:  170
埼玉県所沢市

Ah, yes, “tweaking.” The solution to all problems in the universe. Why didn’t I think of “tweaking”?

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

There are no hard and fast rules, each environment is different so you have to test, test and test again as always. Simply run an ab test form another server to see your requests per second and then keep a log of what changes made how much of an impact. Repeat that over and over to get the right combination. It’s great, sysadmin isn’t it? smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

hydra
Guru

Total Posts:  378
Amsterdam

And also install Fooman Speedster (to be found in magento connect)
It “minify’s” your java and css.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lunchbox Collective

Total Posts:  4
Tempe, AZ

We have just deployed our first Magento store and I too was looking to optimize the store to get faster response times and we concluded that for small stores it boiled down to processor speed on your server.

We have been running our client sites in a three tiered VPS set up that includes a dev, staging, and production server. The production server is set up as follows:

CentOS 5.2 (64 bit)
512MB RAM
1024 Swap
1/2 CPU allocation (this appears to be the most critical and as store traffic increases you simply up your CPU allocation)

mod_php 5.2.9
Zend Optimizer

Our web host is http://www.hostcube.com and they can configure whatever you need.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community