Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Wholesale Bulk - Please help solve this problem

trailsofsmoke

Total Posts:  11

I have a client that sells product in bulk and needs to display the product price with the minimum quantity (in this case 25 lbs) and the per pound price with an easy way to change those prices as his cost dictate.

Example:

Product A is sold in 25 lbs bags only and is priced at $4/lb.

The product presents better shown as $4/lb as opposed to $100 for a 25 lb bag.

“check out these cashews, they’re only $4/lb today!”

The product pricing changes based on season and other market conditions, they change relatively often.
The product is also available in 35 and 50 lb bags

In the current installation of creloaded, the pricing is displayed at $100 for a 25/lb bag and the per/lb price is stated next to the product description. The entire process is manual. They have 1000 items and managing this is becoming very time consuming and is highly exposed to mistakes.

In a perfect world, the ecommerce software would accept the import of an xls file that carries the calculations in the spreadsheet. Meaning, if the price changed to 4.25 the price would carry over and show that a 25/35/50/lb bags total price increased.

Any ideas on how Magento would be better? There are a few issues in play here…

1) Displaying “per pound” or “per case” next to the price.
2) Have a per pound or per case price change effect the product price across multiple attributes.

Solving this problem would open up so much business for us all. Taking Magento on as a solution for a b2b problem - can this happen?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

hez

Total Posts:  103

Here’s a thought -
I’m not positive this is what you want - but here’s what I did
1. Create an attribute set for bag_weight with options of 25/50 (you could do however many you want)

1. Create simple products for each of your items
25lb Cashews
50lb Cashews

2. in each one set the maximum and minimum number in cart to the appropriate amount (25, 50)
3. Create a configurable product with the price being the $4.00
4. Make sure you assign the simple products you created.
5. See if it works.

You might want to add in some code which automatically updates the Qty to the minimum amount when the drop-down box is selected.

Screen shot attached - the message changes to the appropriate thing depending on which item you’ve selected and qty entered so it seems like that’s working right.  I was also able to add it to the cart with the right amounts entered.  The cart won’t let you change it to a different amount either.  Looks all good.

Hope this helps.
smile Hez

Image Attachments
cashew.png

Magento Community
Magento Community

invitro59

Total Posts:  58

Hi

First post here, this ecommerce system looks promising, just for presentation I am from France and for now working under OSC 2.2, waiting for OSC 3.0 for a long time now, have a new websitte to build and looking for a nice coded ecommerce solution with easy template management.

I also used to live for five years in the Bay Area (San Francisco ans L.A. for 8 monthes) so if the French translation Team needs a little help, could be done as I am not a coder at all, but good at copy and paste ;o) and translation.

Trail of smoke is wright, lots of businesses are still manufacturing something, not just buying a box and resell it. As for what I have seen until now ecommerce solutions all have only unit based stock system.

Let say you are manufacturing and have 10 pounds or 10 kilos in stock.

Let say you sell by :

1°) 2 oz or 2 gr
2°) 4 oz or 4 gr
3°) 50 oz or 50 gr
4°) 100 oz or 100 gr
5°) 1 lb or 500 gr
6°) 2lb or 1 kilo

It would be so easy for all these businesses to just type in their stock as 10 lbs or 10 kgs, and then each time someone buys 5 bags of 2 gr and 5 bags of 50 grs and write of 260 grs from stock leaving you with 9740 grams in stock.

When there is no possibility to manage by weight there will be allways some of the different items of the same products out of stock and you will always have to change values of stock with lots of mistakes. Usually you even sell items out of stock (believe my experience on this).

Of course metric system must be easier to manage as programming I suppose.

regards
invitro59

Magento Community
Magento Community

Deej

Total Posts:  4

I noticed two things on the roadmap:

“#Bundles
#Support for grouped products built from configurable products”

Curious to the idea of how these would work?

We are also interested in the concept mentioned by invitro59. We manufacture hats and having the ability to create a type of ‘product-kit’ would help out with inventory mangement.

We make several hats from 1 type of hat body. For example, if you have a ‘fedora’ or ‘joe’ that uses the same hat body, if a ‘fedora’ is ordered, it should take inventory away from the ‘hat body’, as the same for the ‘joe’. We don’t make a set number of each style or designate an amount of hat bodys per style, we just make to order.

Having the ability to update the inventory of 10 hat body’s as they are shipped in would very easy to manage rather than the inventory of 100 styles that are made from those 10.

I hope my analogy is not too confusing. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community