Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Can Magento import Newsletter list - with name and email address

andypandy

Total Posts:  4

I have just moved my site to Magento and need to import my newsletter list from my old site.

My newsletter list has both name and email address but Magento (I think) only allows email address data with ‘guest’ subscriptions.
I plan to use a third party Magento extension which can personalise emails (Dear John . .  . . etc) and give me more control over sending.  But this extension cannot import on its own and needs to import rom Magento- so I still need my list in Magento first!

Surely there is an easy way to doi this . .

All I can think of is to import my list appended to a ‘dummy’ customer list using dataflow import/export, then to export the list to the third party software, before replacing the ‘dummy’ customer list with the real one. This is all a bit scary for a noobi like me.  Surely there is an easier way . .  ?

Please help somebody . . .  Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ec0mmerce

Total Posts:  242

Hello

There are some relevant topics you would be interested in:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/7626/
http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/tutorial-importing-newsletter-subscribers

Here is a FREE extension:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/newsletter-address-import.html

Magento script to import newsletter subscribers:

require_once "/path/to/Mage.php";
Mage::app();
$subscribers = array('email1@server1.com''email2@server2.com', ...);
foreach (
$subscribers as $email{
Mage
::getModel('newsletter/subscriber')->subscribe($email);
}

Import Multiple Email Subscribers using .CSV:
Create a .CSV file and title two columns subscriber_email and subscriber_status. Ensure these are correct else the import will not work.
Under subscriber_email list all email addresses. Under subscriber_status make sure each field value is 1.
In phpMyAdmin under Newsletter_Subscriber click import. Using the browse function select you .CSV file, ensure it’s set to UTF-8 andfile format is .CSV.
Under “format specific options” in the column names filed enter: subscriber_email,subscriber_status.
Click go and all you fields will be imported instantly.
Finally, login to the Magento Admin Panel and under Newsletter Subscribers you’ll be able to view all the imported email subscribers.

Magento Community
Magento Community

andypandy

Thank you both for your replies. and especially @Monty22 for the link. 

XIZSS&#xTh;e product looks ideal and could have been designed for my very purpose.  In fact interestingly I shallbe following much the same course as I envisaged in my question- albeit in a (hopefully) far less time consuming and risky way.

Now, I havent installed any add-ons before and though I will back up the DB beforehand I have read scary stories of people having difficulties restorinf their Magento shop - which does not inspire confidence.  So before I take the plunge and install - which no doubt will be with adrenalin coursing through my veins . . . I ask whether anyone have any user experience of this product? 

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

andypandy

Update:
I imported emails directly into the database phpAdmin unsubscribed using an excel csv file with minimal headers .

Then within Magento I found them in the newsletter list and synchronised them to my Aheadworks Advanced Newsletter which imported them. 

Then I subscribed them to a list.  This checked them through and I was able to remove erroneous emails as they were subscribed.

The subscription process assigned subscription Id’s and I found that when someon unsubscribed the email was properly unsubscribed- not the whole list of emails as has been muted elsewhere.

I hope that this helps someone.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Monty_iLM
Guru

Total Posts:  450

Hi.

Check this thread http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/tutorial-importing-newsletter-subscribers

Hope this will help you!!

Thanks

Monty
iLoveMage

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community