Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

About license

kiang

Total Posts:  21
Taiwan

In the following topic:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/21377/

RoyRubin said:

It is important to note that changes made to the files licensed under OSL 3.0 are considered derivative works. As such, you must disclose any changes you make to the OSL 3.0-licensed copyrighted works whenever you distribute Magento or make your Magento store or software available over the web to a third party. (See sections 1(c) and 5 of OSL 3.0.). For example, modifications made to the Magento Core files and distributed must be licensed under OSL 3.0 and made publicly available.

The problem is:
Modifications made to the Magento Core files and distributed must be licensed under OSL 3.0 and made publicly available.

It seems not required by OSL 3.0 to make the modification publicly available if I’m not trying to distribute the derivative works in public. Am I right?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

LeeSaferite
Guru

Total Posts:  322
Lake City, FL

I would image that if you make changes and never put your code on a public website or even a private website that anyone other than you has access to, then you might not be subject to the distribution clause.  But, what is the point of modifying the code if you are the only one who can ever see it legally?

Magento Community
Magento Community

kiang

Taiwan

Sorry, maybe I did mix OSL and GPL. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Lee is correct smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

paddy-pm

Total Posts:  1

Hello,

I’m french and my english is not very good.
I’m not a developper but i’d like to use Magento only for my shop.

I want to create my theme based on existing theme.
Is it possible to do this without complementary license if i put my theme source code for the public on my website??

Many thank’s for answer,

Best regards,
Patrick,

Magento Community
Magento Community

kiang

Taiwan

According to this:
http://www.crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:16446:200910:alekakhieljhdkgbnflg

Maybe I didn’t get things wrong about the license. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

raulcumplido

Total Posts:  1

Hi,

I am new to Magento and I am reading a little bit about the OSLv3.0 license but there’s something I don’t understand.

If I modify Magento source code I had to make public these changes? Can I use them to create my own enterprise offering stores, I am not redistributing neither selling the code. I am just modifying Magento source code for my own solution to have more features available or modify current one’s.

What if I don’t modify Magento source code but I modify the Database Model and I create new source to deal with this changes?

The question is I had to publish all changes I made for my own if I am not going to sell the code, just use it for my e-commerce solution?

Thanks a lot,

The response will help me to see if Magento can be the solution for my idea smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

imajeff

Total Posts:  43

Same as raulcumplido said, I do not see why people are saying that allowing a customer to shop is called “distributing magento” That is FALSE!

Clearly, even though attorneys may lie and they do often, sending output from my php is not distributing my php code.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community