Here are the things I changed in my .htaccess file in order for web server rewrites to not break the catalog:
“RewriteRule . /index.php [L] “ NOT “RewriteRule ./ index.php [L]” This dumb typo seemed to fix everything.
Another thing I noticed:
“RewriteBase /site/from/root/” is commented out on the dude who posted his entire .htaccess file. it looks like this, which makes it get ignored entirely:
Fixing the typo in the RewriteRule variable fixed everything for me (commenting out the rewrite base seemed to help too, it probably will if your magento directory isn’t at the root level of the web server like mine). I have verified that everything on my site is functional with web server rewrites enabled now.