Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Short open tags? 

luke

Total Posts:  11

What’s with the short open tags in your templates? I don’t even think PHP6 is going to support short open tags and a good amount of servers don’t support them either. I’d lose those ASAP.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

Short tags make template code looks tidy and clean and a great convenience for HTML developer.

They are not going to be deprecated:
http://www.php.net/~derick/meeting-notes.html (chapter 6.7)

The flag that turns them off on servers is easily overrided by .htaccess or local php.ini

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark Ridley

Total Posts:  1

apparently a number of hosts are refusing to turn on short tags, or allow the over riding of the short tags flag due to a conflict with the XML opening tag, unfortunately my host is one of these such hosts.

Any ideas on how i can get around it short of moving hosts? I could of course change them manually myself, but that would make updating a nightmare, and wouldn’t be very practical.

I would like to use magento, it seems like its shaping up to be a great ecommerce solution, well from what i can see, can’t say I’ve used it, bit of a problem with short tags!

Are there plans to maybe sacrifice some template prettiness for increased compatibility? Who knows how many more people this will begin to effect in the future.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community