Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Litespeed server for Magento running

harakiry

Total Posts:  27

Just want to ask you, buddies, if Litespeed server is good for running Magento?
You know simplehelix.com has offered it in their plans and I’d like to know more about that. How does Magento feel with it?
Does anybody have the same experience?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Gui
Guru

Total Posts:  588

Yes it is. I stepped up to a Litespeed server about 1 month ago at Properhost.net. And I must say it is a dream come true. Coming from Apache with suEXEC I can definately see and measure a speed increase even though we are still on a shared solution. To give you an example of the speed increase, with the apache semi-dedicated server we had a 9 second load time, and now a 3 second load time of the homepage (measured with pingdomtools, not sure how accurate that is but it gives an idea)

The biggest plus though, I think, is the ease with updating Magento. You do not have to worry about setting the correct file permissions. I did two updates to 1.2.0.3 and 1.2.1 without any problems.

The guys at Properhost have also been very repsponsive and helpfull throughout the installation and transfer, I can truly recommend them.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

As Gui said, LiteSpeed offers a significant performance boost over Apache, especially if PHP is running in CGI mode under Apache which is really slow. LiteSpeed has developed their own PHP LSAPI, which offers all the advantages of suEXEC/suPHP, but with performance better than even mod_php or FastCGI.

I would strongly advise you to check out the LiteSpeed web server. It is a great piece of software, and reduces server load as well.

Btw, Gui, thanks for the kind words! smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

harakiry

Total Posts:  27

Thank you for your replies, buddies.
I have realized that simplehelix.com has offered LiteSpeed server for Magento running correctly. It makes its management much easier.
And all web sites on Magento work perfectly well.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

We have been implementing LiteSpeed for some time now and yes, it definitely runs better than Apache, which makes running Magento much better than ever. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

ShopGuy
Guru

Total Posts:  462

How do people have litespeed setup? Do they use it just for PHP and let apache handle the rest? How many cores do you have?

I looked at a license for my box and it would cost like 2 grand for 8 cores

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

ShopGuy: keep in mind that number of CPU cores in your system is not necessarily related to the type of license. You can perfectly fine run a 1-core or 2-core license on a 8-core box. It might even be a good idea for a PHP intensive application like Magento. With e.g. a 2-core license, you would have 6 cores free just for PHP, MySQL, etc. See this thread for more information on LiteSpeed licensing.

You do not have to use Apache. LiteSpeed can be used as a direct replacement of Apache, and it supports the most common Apache modules including mod_security. We have ditched Apache completely, and are very pleased with the results.

It will improve performance but also reduce the load on the server.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cntbill

Total Posts:  107
PA

harakriy - My host updated to LiteSpeed and yes I have noticed an improvement in speed with Magento v 1.3.0, However, ever since the LiteSpeed changeover I have not been able to upload or download files larger then about 10 MB through Magento even though my php.ini and .htaccess files are configured to allow files up to 50 MB.  So a word of caution here if you plan to sell downloadable products.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Turnkeye
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  908
URL: turnkeye.com

harakiry - 09 February 2009 05:01 AM

You know simplehelix.com has offered it in their plans and I’d like to know more about that. How does Magento feel with it?

NginX vs LiteSpeed: Magento Benchmark Tests

http://turnkeye.com/blog/2010/04/nginx-vs-litespeed-test-magento/

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

Turnkeye.com - 13 April 2010 02:47 AM

harakiry - 09 February 2009 05:01 AM

NginX vs LiteSpeed: Magento Benchmark Tests

http://turnkeye.com/blog/2010/04/nginx-vs-litespeed-test-magento/

That’s cute but rather meaningless. You aren’t even comparing the same machines and no info on PHP settings etc. That benchmark fails on pretty much all rules of benchmarking.

I’m also dumping Apache for Litespeed. NginX may be even faster yet, but Litespeed gives great admin benefits too. It’s not just raw speed I’m after, it must be easy to maintain and monitor too. Litespeed is.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tusar

Total Posts:  1

Good news.Litespeed server for Magento running is a great post. I like this topic.This site has lots of advantage. I found many interesting things from this site. It helps me many away..So i want some information for sharing this side with some of my friend. Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

PhilC

Total Posts:  7

Hi

With a litespeed server do you need to change your .htaccess file. If you do can anybody give me an example or help on this. We have just moved to litespeed and got a speed increase but Yslow showing files not compressed anymore and expires headers not working whereas they were with Apache?  The site has gone from C to E on Yslow. We ought to be able to get more speed.  With Apache we were using mod_deflate and

<FilesMatch “\.(ico|pdf|flv|jpg|jpeg|png|gif|js|css|swf)$">
Header set Expires “Fri, 21 Dec 2012 00:00:00 GMT”
</FilesMatch>

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

\"PhilC\" -

Hi

With a litespeed server do you need to change your .htaccess file. If you do can anybody give me an example or help on this. We have just moved to litespeed and got a speed increase but Yslow showing files not compressed anymore and expires headers not working whereas they were with Apache?  The site has gone from C to E on Yslow. We ought to be able to get more speed.  With Apache we were using mod_deflate and

<FilesMatch \"\\.(ico|pdf|flv|jpg|jpeg|png|gif|js|css|swf)$\">
Header set Expires \"Fri, 21 Dec 2012 00:00:00 GMT\”
</FilesMatch>

Cheers

You can enable compression inside the LiteSpeed web admin console. Under Configuration -> Server, click on the Tuning tab. In the GZIP section you can turn on compression for dynamic and static content, and even set the compression level. You can set the Expires headers settings on the General tab.

LiteSpeed should be compatible with Apache-style .htaccess, so no changes should be necessary.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community