Magento Forum

What are the suggested files to backup / restore for 1.2.1 upgrade

cntbill

Total Posts:  107
PA

I would like to update to 1.2.1 but first I was wondering what files I should backup so that I can restore the main page and emails.

The reason I ask is I upgraded from 1.2.01 to 1.2.03 and went ok But… my main page along with the left and right panels ended up being reset / over written with the default settings. Also all my transactional emails were over written with defaults. I deinstalled and went back to 1.2.01 everything is ok.

Now I would like to upgrade to 1.2.1 and what I was thinking of doing is ftp the files to my computer that will change, but I don’t know which files I should backup first so that I could ftp back and overwrite the changed default files.

I am using 1.2.01 with the Blue skin.

Thanks,

Bill…

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

cntbill

Total Posts:  107
PA

Maybe this should be posted in “How do I” ??? 

Admin, if so please move.

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

laserbeam

Total Posts:  28

It’s for your own’s sake, DO NOT try to upgrade using Magento Connect.  It never worked for me.  The easiest way to upgrade is to download the new full version, unpack it then upload it to the server and restart install process using the existing database.  You need to back up your database and all files in media directory as well as other customized files in other directories before you upgrade.  Try to keep these custom files intact in their original places and upload all others from the new full version.  The re-install process should be straightforward as long as you’ve saved and re-input all your previous environment such as database name, password, base url, secure url, admin login, Magento encryption key and so on.  You actually don’t need to restore database after you complete the above re-install process since all your original settings are there including your customized email templates.

Magento Community
Magento Community

winta

Total Posts:  38

i am trying to backup my magento using the backup magento tool in the admin section
when i press create backup i get the page"The website cannot display the page”
My var dir is set to 777 also the backup directory is set to 777

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community