Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Referencing Custom Module (add-on to Mage Core code) via XML Block call

leetaylordoes

Total Posts:  227
San Diego, CA

Hi All,

I was working through something today that made me want to post, as I think it might prove beneficial knowledge to many who desire to either add on or rewrite on the Mage core code by way of creating a custom module to do so.

For instance, a typical call to a block within the Mage core code directory would look like this:

<block type="catalog/product_view_tabs" name="product.info.tabs" as="info_tabs" template="catalog/product/view/tabs.phtml">
<
action method="addTab" translate="title" module="catalog"><alias>additional</alias><title>Additional Information</title><block>catalog/product_view_attributes</block><template>catalog/product/view/attributes.phtml</template></action>
</
block>

If I were to make a custom module “MyModule” and wanted to “add” my file (the data I make available in it) to the frontend, I would need to customize the code reference above to make it look for my custom module “MyModule”.

I’m not too sure on what values need to be placed within the following instances:
+ <block>
+ module=

The code above references blocks made available by the Mage core code, though what would be the correct syntax to make it reflect my custom module? (Directory structure: /app/local/MyModule/Catalog/Block/Product/View/Example.php)

Can anyone shed some more light on this?

Thanks,
Lee

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community