Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Downloadable / Simple bundle with immediate download

radarmaker

Total Posts:  6

I’m trying to set up a shop that sells music. I’ve read a bit on this, and have been able to get downloadable and simple products to work, but on of the things we’d really like to do is:

1. Set a basic product (CD, DVD, whatever) for purchase
2. When a user buys this CD they will get a download delivered (a few tracks, a free video download etc.)

I’ve set the download bundle and for all intents and purposes it worked in the front end, but nowhere does the order allow for download of the downloadable product. Even when the order is paid for the downloadable doesn’t show up in ‘my downloadable products’ or in the ‘paid’ confirmation email.

Is this possible? It’s a really powerful promotional tool that would make the shop (a very small independent label) be able to compete with larger retailers who can set this sort of promotion up very quickly.

As a side note - in the bundle, we wouldn’t want to allow people to buy the ‘free download’ in the section where they have to select products. as others have noted before, a bundle to me is a collection of products that are set, not allowing a user to select and de-select other options. All of our main products (CDs, DVDs etc) will be in the shop as standalones.

Any help would be appreciated!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Marko P.

Total Posts:  3

radarmaker - 08 February 2009 07:40 AM

I’m trying to set up a shop that sells music. I’ve read a bit on this, and have been able to get downloadable and simple products to work, but on of the things we’d really like to do is:

1. Set a basic product (CD, DVD, whatever) for purchase
2. When a user buys this CD they will get a download delivered (a few tracks, a free video download etc.)

I’ve set the download bundle and for all intents and purposes it worked in the front end, but nowhere does the order allow for download of the downloadable product. Even when the order is paid for the downloadable doesn’t show up in ‘my downloadable products’ or in the ‘paid’ confirmation email.

Is this possible? It’s a really powerful promotional tool that would make the shop (a very small independent label) be able to compete with larger retailers who can set this sort of promotion up very quickly.

As a side note - in the bundle, we wouldn’t want to allow people to buy the ‘free download’ in the section where they have to select products. as others have noted before, a bundle to me is a collection of products that are set, not allowing a user to select and de-select other options. All of our main products (CDs, DVDs etc) will be in the shop as standalones.

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi radarmaker,

Did you make any progress on this topic?

Best,
Marko

Magento Community
Magento Community

radarmaker

unfortunately not… anyone have any tips?

Magento Community
Magento Community

jballotti
Guru

Total Posts:  339
Chicago area

radarmaker - 16 April 2009 12:56 PM

unfortunately not… anyone have any tips?

Not a real elegant solution but this might work for you.
Setup a simple product for your CD & a downloadable product for your download. Now setup a Grouped product for both of those so that customers can choose to “purchase” the downloadable product which will be sent at no additional charge when they purchase the CD. Now set up a shopping cart price rule that discounts the price of the download if the cart contains the CD.

I haven’t actually done this myself, so I can’t guarantee that it will work.

cool smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

radarmaker

thanks… i sort of got it working with bundles… i think.
the problem is we don’t want people to be able to buy the download separately… so it’s totally inelegant, but i’ll try your method as well. i didn’t even think of the shopping cart rule. thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community