Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Another: Fatal error: Method Varien_Object::__tostring() cannot take arguments in …/Object.php on line 489

e-mkb

Total Posts:  5

Hello everyone,

When visiting my website i get the following error:

Fatal error: Method Varien_Object::__tostring() cannot take arguments in /home/perfect/domains/perfectnatuursteen.nl/public_html/lib/Varien/Object.php on line 489

I have found allot of solutions on the web for this problem, but none seem to work. This could be because I am using Magento version 1.1.6.

For example I have found this solution:
http://pravams.com/2011/05/31/magento-fix-for-fatal-error-method-varien_object__tostring-cannot-take-arguments/

problems with this solution:
1. index.php is empty and has no error_reporting(E_ALL | E_STRICT);
2. there seems to be no folder “downloader” with /Maged/Pear.php

When I change the “__toString” in Object.php to “__invoke” the website shows a different error:

EDIT: code seems to big.. visit perfectnatuursteen.nl to see error code, has to do with PDOException Object

I have also tried to find solutions for this problem but nothing seems to help.

I hope finding a solution by posting my issues here.

greetings,

Philippe

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

Current PHP versions probably hate your version of Magento. While I know this probably isn’t a welcome answer to the current problem, upgrading Magento out of the opening void of future non-support when your hosting provider makes the final switch to a new version of more secure PHP will eventually render your website non-functional. Theoretically, you can find all the discontinued PHP functions in Magento and replace them to keep the current code base marginally functional, but upgrading prevents wheel reinvention.

Applications aren’t a cathedral you build and admire for a couple centuries, but an endless toil on a treadmill that requires constant upkeep.

Magento Community
Magento Community

e-mkb

Total Posts:  5

thanks for your help. I will have a look on how to upgrade the system. Hope it will be possible without needing the admin panel since this gives me the same errors.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community