Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Install on Hostgator (shared)

Solar Frenzy

Total Posts:  48
London

After initial problems I finally sorted the install onto my Hostgator shared server.

The main problem is that the CP states that you are running PHP 4.4.4 but in fact you are running both v4.4.4 and v5.
To run Magento you need to add this to the htaccess file at the root of the install:

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php

Other than that, upload all the files, following the instructions here:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/magento-installation-guide

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

Hi Solar, I was helping a friend installing Magento on his hostgator server, and yes, according to the teach support I should add “AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php” in the htaccess file.

But I am getting the internal server error.

This is what I have in htaccess in the root. Is there anything to do with Magento being uploaded via FTP (not the tar.gz version) ? In order to use SSH, hostgator requires the account user fax in Photo ID which my friend prefers not to.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

php_flag magic_quotes_gpc off
php_flag short_open_tag on

DirectoryIndex index.php

RewriteEngine on

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/media/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/skin/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/js/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-l

RewriteRule .* index.php

Magento Community
Magento Community

Solar Frenzy

Total Posts:  48
London

This is what I have in my htaccess file (at root level):

DirectoryIndex index.php

RewriteEngine on

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/media/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/skin/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/js/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-l

RewriteRule .* index.php

I also created a php.ini file with this line:

magic_quotes_gpc = On

Try changing this:
magic_quotes_gpc = Off

to:
magic_quotes_gpc = On

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

perfect!!!! it works and the admin loads very fast, much faster than my mt account (although I suspect me using another host (*for security reason I prefer not to reveal the name smile ) connecting to my mt account has something to do with it. 

Hmmm, should have signed up with hostgator for my account last time (was my second choice) but I was sold by mt pretty admin. A big mistake!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandon

Total Posts:  76
Web Developer

chinesedream - 06 September 2007 05:23 PM

perfect!!!! it works and the admin loads very fast, much faster than my mt account (although I suspect me using another host (*for security reason I prefer not to reveal the name smile ) connecting to my mt account has something to do with it. 

Hmmm, should have signed up with hostgator for my account last time (was my second choice) but I was sold by mt pretty admin. A big mistake!

That’s actually good to know because I am very close to switching to MT.  I am not happy with my current host and MT’s stuff is soooo pretty :D

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark Howson

Total Posts:  28
UK (Weather: Cold and Rainy)

Brandon - 06 September 2007 06:14 PM

That’s actually good to know because I am very close to switching to MT.  I am not happy with my current host and MT’s stuff is soooo pretty :D

Brandon,

Avoid MT like the plague, especially the Grid Server. I was on the Grid Server with a site that saw traffic bursts at midnight PST daily during a month long promotional event, and ended up seeing an overages bill of… get this… $350… for just one months usage. That’s because the grid has an unadvertised feature called ‘Grid Power Units’.

Basically, you’re only allowed a certain amount of CPU usage or you get charged big time. Any mid-high traffic sites running a database/PHP system cannot cope. And this was Wordpress! Magento is far bulkier, and hence could attract an even larger bill. It’s not an overage you want or need on a $20 per month plan.

Be afraid - be very afraid.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandon

Total Posts:  76
Web Developer

Got a follow up suggestion for a host then?  Someone posted one a day or so ago, but I forgot to bookmark it!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark Howson

I’m a dedicated server guy, honestly. I signed up for a HostGator account to check them out though, and I’m enjoying it. Also, Dreamhost are very good for none mission critical stuff.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Mark Howson - 08 September 2007 12:15 PM

Basically, you’re only allowed a certain amount of CPU usage or you get charged big time. Any mid-high traffic sites running a database/PHP system cannot cope. And this was Wordpress! Magento is far bulkier, and hence could attract an even larger bill. It’s not an overage you want or need on a $20 per month plan.

According to (mt):
Each (gs) Grid-Service plan is given 1000 GPUs monthly, which is equivalent to continuously using 10% of a processor core for one month. This breaks down to 1.4 GPUs per hour.

I am not the most happier customer with (mt), but I think it’s a decent host, and yes a bit pricy, and my experience with its ticket support hasn’t been wonderful either, for instance, one of my ticket regarding some error messages with the installation of Magento was ignored. To them, the policy is that, we do not support third party application support, hence the silent treatment.
As a resonable cutomer, I would consider it’s a curtesy for a brief response like ‘we do not support third party software’ and it can go a long way for its customer services.

Despite my not so satisfactory experience, I think it’s good to point out, that Grid Sever is another name for shared hosting and my understanding is that with shard hosting, all web hosts only allow up to x% of Bandwidth Usage, if you hit that, you will be billed too. So the policy (mt) has on GPUs is the same Bandwidth Usage other web hosts have. Therefor I don’t think (mt) is doing anyting unethical to its customers.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark Howson

That’s both true and false. I’ve had overages with other providers, and generally they warn you on the first occurance. Also of note, when I was with (mt) they didn’t actually tell you how many GPUs you had.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

in my (mt) admin, there is a CPUs report, where I can track my usage. It will be ncie if they send warning/reminder via email. I only been with (mt) for 3 months (signed up one year therefor can’t drop it now) so dont’ know if the CPUs report is a new feature recently added.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark Howson

I’ve followed all the steps above and I’m still getting the 500 error at http://www.namenetworkstores.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Mark Howson - 08 September 2007 04:23 PM

I’ve followed all the steps above and I’m still getting the 500 error at http://www.namenetworkstores.com

I presume you are trying to install it on hostgator?

It should work if you have PHP 5.22, mySQL 4.1.2, a modified htaccess and a php.ini file that shows only “magic_quotes_gpc = On”. Did the connection drop when you upload the files via FTP? And if you have the 755 permission set
“Ensure that the file magento/var/.htaccess, the directories magento/app/etc, magento/var, and all the directories under magento/media are writable by the web server”.

I recommend you compare the magento folders between the one in your harddisk and the one you uploaded to the server to make sure no files/folders are missing.

Hope this helps!

Magento Community
Magento Community

mckooter

Total Posts:  91

im excited about this, i have one dedicated server i can use, but most clients end up with a shared server so finding a good company that it works on is essential

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark Howson

Still getting errors :(. If anyone has a moment and is willing to see what they can do, please PM me for FTP details.

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Mark Howson - 09 September 2007 01:49 AM

Still getting errors :(. If anyone has a moment and is willing to see what they can do, please PM me for FTP details.

Thanks!

Hi Mark, I got your PM, but decided to answer it here.

Installing on Hostgator’s server is pretty straightforward. I really can’t think of anything would fail if you have followed all steps and have confirmed that no folders/files are missing in your hostgator’s copy. They are so many folders and can be duanting to check one by one. If you still can’t get it working and is confident that the permissions 755 are set, have a php.ini and a modified htaccess, perhaps it’s best to request a SSH access from Hostgator, then untar the tar.gz file from the server?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2