Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 3
How can I show a product on the Homepage

andyk123

Total Posts:  36

Hello alltogether,

can someone tell me how I can show a Product on the first page of the shop. I searched the forums but found nothing.

Thanks for your answers!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

seoguy

Total Posts:  46

{{block type="catalog/product_list" category_id="PLACE THE CORESPONDING CATEGORY NUMBER HERE"}}

Magento Community
Magento Community

andyk123

thank you very much for your reply, but im very new with magento. so my next question is: where du i have to put this code?

thx for your answer!

Magento Community
Magento Community

seoguy

Login into the backend.  Go to the CMS tab.  Look for the page entitled home.  There will be a huge text block for content section.  Place it there.

That code will place all products that are included in that category.  If you just want to display one product, create category and place product in it.  In the category setting, just ensure the block labeled is active?  is no that way it wont show up any where else.

Chris

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

Total Posts:  325
San Francisco

seoguy - 05 February 2008 08:20 AM

Login into the backend.  Go to the CMS tab.  Look for the page entitled home.  There will be a huge text block for content section.  Place it there.

That code will place all products that are included in that category.  If you just want to display one product, create category and place product in it.  In the category setting, just ensure the block labeled is active?  is no that way it wont show up any where else.

Chris

Hmm I tried this, but it says no products found.  I looked at category, clicked category proudcts, and reset filter and clearly showed 9 as the id for the proudct, so I added on home page

{{block type="catalog/product_list" category_id="9"}}

but the page shows
There are no products matching the selection.
Any ideas? seems ilike it ought to work.  Thx

EDIT!! My 9 is a config prouduct that is working correctly
http://www.epicurecookware.com/catalog/product/view/id/9/s/ruffoni-opera-saucepans/category/5/

but thehome page gives me that message
http://www.epicurecookware.com/

Magento Community
Magento Community

seoguy

According to the url, the category of the product is 5.  The code above displays categories (the products in the category), not individual products.

Hope this helps

P.S. Glad you got your configurable product working.

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

seoguy - 05 February 2008 09:57 AM

According to the url, the category of the product is 5.  The code above displays categories (the products in the category), not individual products.

Hope this helps

P.S. Glad you got your configurable product working.

Thanks, the 5 works and I see now in the url that it is 5 What I don’t know is how would you find out what id your various categores are? I don’t see an id anywhere wher I Manage categories. ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

seoguy

Hi,

Go the the backend, click on catalog tab then on url rewrite management and you will see the cat numbers

Chris

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

seoguy - 05 February 2008 11:53 AM

Hi,

Go the the backend, click on catalog tab then on url rewrite management and you will see the cat numbers

Chris

Indeed it does! You are so clever.  grin Thanks. Tht wil come in very handy.

Magento Community
Magento Community

andyk123

this is what i get when i do so:

Warning: include(Mage/\"catalog/Block/Product/List".php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/www/users/wowish/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/functions.php on line 44
[0] in __autoload() in /usr/www/users/wowish/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/functions.php on line 44
[1] in __autoload("Mage_\"catalog_Block_Product_List"") in /usr/www/users/wowish/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Layout.php on line 324
[2] in Mage_Core_Model_Layout->createBlock("\"catalog/product_list"") in /usr/www/users/wowish/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Email/Template/Filter.php on line 42
[3] in Mage_Core_Model_Email_Template_Filter->blockDirective(Array[3])
[4] in call_user_func(Array[2], Array[3]) in /usr/www/users/wowish/magento/lib/Varien/Filter/Template.php on line 121
[5] in Varien_Filter_Template->filter(”
Home Page

{{block type=\"catalog/product_list\" category_id=\"1\"}}") in /usr/www/users/wowish/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Cms/Block/Page.php on line 33
[6] in Mage_Cms_Block_Page->toHtml() in /usr/www/users/wowish/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Text/List.php on line 36
[7] in Mage_Core_Block_Text_List->toHtml() in /usr/www/users/wowish/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Abstract.php on line 426
[8] in Mage_Core_Block_Abstract->_getChildHtml("content", 1) in /usr/www/users/wowish/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Abstract.php on line 404
[9] in Mage_Core_Block_Abstract->getChildHtml("content") in /usr/www/users/wowish/magento/app/design/frontend/default/default/template/page/2columns-right.phtml on line 54
[10] in include("/usr/www/users/wowish/magento/app/design/frontend/default/default/template/page/2columns-right.phtml") in /usr/www/users/wowish/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php on line 122
[11] in Mage_Core_Block_Template->fetchView("frontend/default/default/template/page/2columns-right.phtml") in /usr/www/users/wowish/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php on line 153
[12] in Mage_Core_Block_Template->renderView() in /usr/www/users/wowish/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php on line 198
[13] in Mage_Core_Block_Template->toHtml() in /usr/www/users/wowish/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Layout.php on line 417
[14] in Mage_Core_Model_Layout->getOutput() in /usr/www/users/wowish/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php on line 313
[15] in Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->renderLayout() in /usr/www/users/wowish/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Cms/Helper/Page.php on line 84
[16] in Mage_Cms_Helper_Page->renderPage(Mage_Cms_PageController, “2") in /usr/www/users/wowish/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Cms/controllers/PageController.php on line 27
[17] in Mage_Cms_PageController->viewAction() in /usr/www/users/wowish/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php on line 336
[18] in Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->dispatch("view") in /usr/www/users/wowish/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Router/Standard.php on line 150
[19] in Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Router_Standard->match(Mage_Core_Controller_Request_Http) in /usr/www/users/wowish/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Front.php on line 147
[20] in Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Front->dispatch() in /usr/www/users/wowish/magento/app/Mage.php on line 379
[21] in Mage::run("base") in /usr/www/users/wowish/magento/index.php on line 29

and so on.....

Magento Community
Magento Community

SeL_
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1140
Paris, France

It looks like you have :

{{block type=\"catalog/product_list\" category_id=\"1\"}}
in your CMS.
Make sure to remove backslashes (’\’ character) like this:
{{block type="catalog/product_list" category_id="1"}}
HTH

Magento Community
Magento Community

andyk123

i tried that but every time i save it ads them by its self

Magento Community
Magento Community

DailyLunatic

Total Posts:  39
Oklahoma City, OK

seoguy - 05 February 2008 03:12 AM

{{block type="catalog/product_list" category_id="PLACE THE CORESPONDING CATEGORY NUMBER HERE"}}

Thank you.
I realize if you did not want to fill up the page with large catagories you could just create a smaller one and display that…
But what if you, say, have 100 or so items in a catagory and all you want is to display is 6 ‘random’ products from a catagory?

Magento Community
Magento Community

d7a7z7e7d

Total Posts:  2

DailyLunatic - 06 February 2008 08:24 AM

seoguy - 05 February 2008 03:12 AM

Thank you.
I realize if you did not want to fill up the page with large catagories you could just create a smaller one and display that…
But what if you, say, have 100 or so items in a catagory and all you want is to display is 6 ‘random’ products from a catagory?

The reason is that you have been going to http://www.creatiq.com/magento/admin rather than http://www.creatiq.com/magento/admin/ (notice the addition of the slash).  Not sure how to fix this for you, however, sorry.

Magento Community
Magento Community

andyk123

Hi alltogether,

is there a documentation or something for the

block type
s that can be used. thx to ur help i manged to get one product displayed on the homepage. but it is displayed in a list. i nedded to have the product view displayed.

THX 4 your answer!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Shimi

Total Posts:  22

I need to show product on the Home Page of the site however following the above example I get “There are no products matching the selection.” message.

This is what I have.

Currently I have only one product to sell a book, so after installing Magento I created a category called ‘Books’ in ‘Root Category’ next I created my product ‘Statistic book’ and assigned it to ‘Books’ category.

Under CMS tab ‘Manage Pages’ in ‘Home Page’ I added the follwoing

<h1>Home Page</h1>
{{block type="catalog/product_list" category_id="1"}}

In Frontpage when I go to my site I have the message “There are no products matching the selection.” what am I doing wrong.

Magento v0.8.16100 is installed in domain root.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 3