Magento Forum

Free Shipping by Product Type

kaps0731

Total Posts:  1

We want to implement real-time shipping quotes with UPS but for a certain set of our products we always offer free shipping.  Its not based on a quantity or price level but a type of product.  In our case we manufacturer a software line of products that is always free shipping but the other products we sell pay normal UPS rates.  Is there any way I can handle this in Magento?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

crzylx

Total Posts:  21

bump for this…

Magento Community
Magento Community

dscott11

Total Posts:  13
California

I too am trying to implement free shipping for certain items.

I am able to get the shopping cart rule to recognize my item, but I get Free Shipping, along with UPS shipping displayed as $0.00, which is no big deal, but when other items are placed in the cart, it still remains $0.00.

I do have some custom code that may be messing things up, but wondered if anyone else has had success with this.

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

crzylx

I figured this out. Here’s what worked for me..

I created a Shipping a rule… I told the rule that for x manufacturer no free shipping. That worked for me because our free shipping is based off the manufacturer. Certain manufacturer’s we can offer free shipping, others we can’t

Magento Community
Magento Community

wjcstp

Total Posts:  30

Is this working for you with mixed items in the cart? In your case, if you have some items with free shipping and some not, is it only adding the shipping cost for the non-free items? I’m trying to use a cart price rule based on a “Free Shipping” attribute (same as you’re doing with mfg), and it works properly to select free/flatrate when all items in the cart are the same type, but if it’s mixed, shipping for all items in the cart use the flat rate (ignoring the “free” attribute and rule).

Magento Community
Magento Community

crzylx

Yes I have it working with mixed items. It didn’t at first.. the key was this

Apply the rule only to cart items matching the following conditions (leave blank for all items)

And add your manufacturers there as well. Make sure it’s set to For matching items only. It will work… smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

WebShopApps
Guru

Total Posts:  460
London, UK

Hi,

You can also manage this without using promotions using the Shipping Override extension. This gives you ability to assign a product to a shipping group called FREE then define criteria for when this would apply e.g. Only USA customers not in Alaska, Hawaii and when price > $50.

The extension manages most cases where you want to override/surcharge shipping amounts, and also works with adding variable percentage surcharges.

http://webshopapps.com/index.php/latest-products/shipping-override-matrix.html

There is a screencast on the weblink above.

Rgds

Karen

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community