Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
ditch prototype use jquery

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

I went to a Magento seminar where Yoav presented. What struck me immediately was that he uses K-Meleon as the browser.

A quick search found that it’s a stripped down Mozilla browser which is blazing fast with JavaScript. I’m now running the admin daily in this browser and it’s possibly 6 x faster than FireFox and 2-3 times faster than Opera.

Running that mootools test in K-Meleon:

selectors MooTools 1.2 JQuery 1.2.6 Prototype 1.6.0.2 YUI 2.5.2 Selector beta Dojo 1.1.1
final time 2837 ---------- 2385 ------ 913 ------------—6756 ------------------------- 1619

So no wonder that’s the browser he prefers when demonstrating Magento. Just a shame that’s not what real users use. But it sure speeds things up in the admin area.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

demonkoryu
Guru

Total Posts:  328
Dortmund, Germany

Thanks, the admin really flies now!

PS: First time that I saw Prototoype coming out as the fastest contender.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ShopGuy
Guru

Total Posts:  462

Any idea if the switch to jQuery will be made? I have been working in both recently and it is obvious that jquery is much easier and more powerful than prototype.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Megane

Total Posts:  2

Not sure whether Google does. Implication is that you’d need to request them locally in pages like the cart and checkout.

Regards

Megane
Surendettement

Magento Community
Magento Community

inluxc

Total Posts:  19

Ditch Prototype junk, and add Jquery.......

Magento Community
Magento Community

FlorianJ

Total Posts:  29

Any further information about that? I would really like to load a smaller js-file as this is more than 50% of most pages load.... And I really dont get, what I need all that junk for!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

khatiba

Total Posts:  1

I’m bumping this year old topic, I don’t care. Please drop prototype or at least make it use the noConflict crap. No offense to the developers and users of prototype, but jQuery is far superior.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 2