Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento Order Numbers going backwards

Bright Ideas

Total Posts:  140
Mumbai

Hello Friends,

I need your help. I have the following Orders Number generated. This is in descending order of created date, means latest first.

It is observed that the last order number is 100000211, it seems it is going backward. How come this happened? Is there any settings or am I missing anything? Please help.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

Under certain conditions, a quote can reserve an invoice number. When the customer comes back a bit later and finalizes the order, you will see an older number pop up later in the invoice order sequence.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bright Ideas

Total Posts:  140
Mumbai

Thanks chiefair.

Is it possible to ignore such behaviour?. Means it should always generate order ids in increment number and do not take the old one?

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

I pretty much ignore it and let it take the orders. There are some discrepancies you’ll note with invoice number assignment. You’ve just caught one. The other is when it drops the invoice number on declined cards, possibly guest quotes. Many people ask about this, but Varien/Magento seems to think it is normal operation.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community