Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Need to add additional fees to products based on categories

srmobile

Total Posts:  276

I have different categories that have different additional fees that vary depending on the category the reside.
For example we have a category “Screens”, when you purchase a screen for 100$, there needs to be an additional fee for 5$ for environment handling.  This fee would need to appear as a separate item in the cart.

What I thought I could do is create a product for each fee and link them together based on category.

How would I best achieve this?

Thanks!

SR

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Ryan Sun _Kuafu
Guru

Total Posts:  317
FL

create a custom attribute additional_fee to category (mostppl do it by custom upgrade script, you can find many post about it)
rewrite price model and have $product->getCategoryCollection()->getFirstItem()->getAdditionalFee() add to getFinalPrice()

this is not the best solution as a product might belong to many categories. you can create different product types and define different price class to serve your purpose

Magento Community
Magento Community

srmobile

Ryan Sun _Kuafu - 05 March 2013 04:44 AM

create a custom attribute additional_fee to category (mostppl do it by custom upgrade script, you can find many post about it)
rewrite price model and have $product->getCategoryCollection()->getFirstItem()->getAdditionalFee() add to getFinalPrice()

this is not the best solution as a product might belong to many categories. you can create different product types and define different price class to serve your purpose

Hi Ryan,

So would this be a good template to use?

http://magenting.wordpress.com/2011/11/10/adding-a-category-attribute-in-magento/

And just to be clear, you were referring to the price.php located in Mage/Catalog/Model/Product/Type/ correct?

(I had written this long reply but entered the captcha wrong and lost everything..... this is the shortened version)

Thanks!

SR

Magento Community
Magento Community

jeffcustom

Total Posts:  67
Boulder, CO

If you want it to be a different item added to the cart, you are better off taking 1 of 2 routes.

Route 1:
Pass in the “fee” item as a related product in the catalog/product/view.phtml template file (<input type="hidden" ... )

Route 2:
Define an observer to hook into the add to cart, update quantity, or remove from cart events. You can then look through a given product’s category ids and use Mage::getSingleton("checkout/cart")->addProduct() to add it into the quote.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ryan Sun _Kuafu
Guru

Total Posts:  317
FL

srmobile - 05 March 2013 06:54 AM

Hi Ryan,

So would this be a good template to use?

http://magenting.wordpress.com/2011/11/10/adding-a-category-attribute-in-magento/

And just to be clear, you were referring to the price.php located in Mage/Catalog/Model/Product/Type/ correct?

(I had written this long reply but entered the captcha wrong and lost everything..... this is the shortened version)

Thanks!

SR

1, yes
2, depends on your product type, but yes Mage/Catalog/Model/Product/Type/Price.php is the price model for most types

Magento Community
Magento Community

srmobile

jeffcustom - 05 March 2013 08:16 AM

Route 2:
Define an observer to hook into the add to cart, update quantity, or remove from cart events. You can then look through a given product’s category ids and use Mage::getSingleton("checkout/cart")->addProduct() to add it into the quote.

Do you have an example of what this kind of code would look like?

Thanks!

SR

Magento Community
Magento Community

srmobile

Ryan Sun _Kuafu - 05 March 2013 08:43 AM

1, yes
2, depends on your product type, but yes Mage/Catalog/Model/Product/Type/Price.php is the price model for most types

Awsome, thanks Ryan!!

So far I’ve gotten the attribute to appear on the categories and I’m going to try and modify the price.php and see what kind of results I get.  smile

SR

EDIT: Not having much luck. I’ve modified the price.php in the section that appears to be for calculating the final price but when I make any changes, only 1 item appears in my test store and when I click on it, I get some weird results.

Magento Community
Magento Community

srmobile

In case someone falls on this thread while searching the inter webs: I ended up purchasing a module that does exactly what I was trying to accomplish. I can muddle my way through some code but far from a php / MySQL programmer.

The module is: http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/j2t-auto-add-va.html

I created a product called “Environment Fee” and applied it to specific categories. The module is extremely flexible in that you can have different rules for different categories.

SR

Magento Community
Magento Community

MagikTejas

Total Posts:  150

Hello,

Magento Extra Fee extension allow you to apply the product,category,shipping & order type fees. With which you can apply the same category fee to all the products in particular category or apply separate fees to individual products. Also have ability to apply the fee on entire order or add extra shipping charge.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MageBright

Total Posts:  100

Hi
Please Check May be someone help this extension

http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/surcharge-extension.html

http://www.magebright.com/surcharge-extension.html

Thank you

Magento Community