Magento Forum

Is there a way to plug in a Magento Back-Office with an iPhone or Android App ? 

Mangkone

Total Posts:  3

Hello Everyone,

We would like to develop a grocery shopping online app.
The idea is the following : a customer can access a catalog and do his shopping through the app, we then deliver his groceries at home.
The admin can manage the product categories, the products, the sells, and some other rules such as delivery fees.
As far as I know, Magento offers the best back office user experience for a novice, and all of the tasks mentioned above are included in Magento.

Which is why, I wonder if one could plug a Magento Back office with an application, just like we do for an e-commerce website ?

Thank you in advance for your answer wink

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Lyonscg

Total Posts:  173
Chicago IL

I don’t see why you couldn’t. I’m by no means an app developer, but I would assume you would just point your application at the database and then display the content as necessary. However, considering how much Magento does to that data before it displays it on the eCommerce site, I’m sure you would have your hands full trying to mimic everything through an application.

So in short, I would bet this is possible but (there’s always a but), I think the development time for something like this may be staggering.

Another alternative that you may not have considered is Magento’s mobile version.
http://www.magentocommerce.com/product/mobile

And one more alternative is responsive design. Although it isn’t an actual app, it can be very powerful and much easier to implement.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mangkone

Total Posts:  3

Hello,

First of all thank you for your answer.
We had been considering Magento Mobile, yet we want to implement a QRcode / Barcode Scanner in the app.
We wanted to start from the Magento Mobile SDK but it’s quite expensive.
As for the responsive web design, we really need to put in a QR Code Scanner so we have to develop an application.

For now, the best compromise appears to be the following :
1. Build a a mobile version of our Magento.
2. Integrate that mobile website in an iphone or android app through webviews.
3. Integrate a barcode scanner to the iPhone and Android shells.

Best regards,

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community