Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
Can I do mass-action for adding products to a category ? 

pietpomp

Total Posts:  2

zenith2 - 03 November 2010 06:28 PM

Perhaps this was obvious to others but I found this very well hidden. To add/remove large numbers of products (perhaps upto a max of 200 at a time at least) you dont need any extra addons:

- Navigate to your target category
- Click “Category Products” tab (last one)
- In the first column a check means: Yes, this product is in the category you’ve browsed to.
- You can browse only products already assigned to that category ("Yes"), Those not in it ("No") or all products ("Any")
- To add products not currently in category select “No” or “Any” and further refine your search using the other search parameters to isolate a collections of products.
- Click all of the ones you want to move to the category
- Finally click “Save Category”

To do the reverse, select “Yes”, then uncheck and save category to remove products

this is version 1.4.1.0

Excellent! works for 1.7.0.2

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

sampat_raj

Total Posts:  3

Perhaps this was obvious to others but I found this very well hidden. To add/remove large numbers of products (perhaps upto a max of 200 at a time at least) you dont need any extra addons:

- In the first column a check means: Yes, this product is in the category you’ve browsed to.
- You can browse only products already assigned to that category (\\\"Yes\\\"), Those not in it (\\\"No\\\") or all products (\\\"Any\\\")
- To add products not currently in category select “No” or “Any” and further refine your search using the other search parameters to isolate a collections of products.

To do the reverse, select “Yes”, then uncheck and save category to remove products

Magento Community
Magento Community

carter_baskett

Total Posts:  4

Here is few extensions Advanced Admin Products Manager and Mass Product Categories Updater we are using first one due to wide flexibility in mass products attributes updates. But both of this extensions add editable categorie column into product grid, so you can assign/unassign/reassign products to any categories right in the product grid and perform bulk update in one click. Also it allow you sort/filter by category or multiple categories and detect unassigned products to categories.

Magento Community
Magento Community

freaknet

Total Posts:  4

zenith2 - 03 November 2010 06:28 PM

- You can browse only products already assigned to that category ("Yes"), Those not in it ("No") or all products ("Any")

this is version 1.4.1.0

This is the OPS his/her question (same as my question): There is a nice extension from nel (Product Enhanced Grid) which gives you more flexibility in the Catalog Admin panel.
Something like that for the category admin panel will be very nice !

Is there another way to do mass-action for adding products to a category ?

CSV import and export? Sure, but that is not what we want and need.
Using the trick from “zenith2”? Please! Read the question from the OP.

I will draw the problem.
We have 10 of thousands products in 100 or so categories. There are some cats whi need to be merched together.... or simple… move all products from 1 category to another.
We don’t know the skus upfront so zenith2 his trick aint gonne work...... And if we know.... we won’t search each sku in the category product and submit it that way.

Why not csv? You can fgure it out when you read my crap wink

i will look further...... but d4mn.... magento is full of missing features.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jase007
Guru

Total Posts:  388

Hi.

- You can browse only products already assigned to that category (\\\"Yes\\\"), Those not in it (\\\"No\\\") or all products (\\\"Any\\\")

Thanks

iLoveMage

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 2