Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 3 of 3
Config Products with diff size AND diff price

Lior
Magento Team

Total Posts:  293

Hi Anna,

No problem and you are welcome smile
It looks exactly as it supposed to be now.

I am not sure if it will work better for your products, but maybe you should also look into “Group Products”

Good luck

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Baybee

Total Posts:  61

Looks great Anna!  smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

Total Posts:  325
San Francisco

Thanks to both of you. I might get used to it, but as long as Lior mentioned it, I will check out group products, then have a million more questions. LOL
I don’t think theres a screen cast on that, so I will probably just sit and stare at it.  I don’t know how anybody could figure out this config proudct, none of that was mentoned in the screen cast.  Well as I say, beta, beta, patience patience.  Its a great product and I am excited about it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lior
Magento Team

Anna,

Did you read these articles in the knowledge base?
http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/categories/category/catalog/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Baybee

I am too, Anna… I use Creloaded for both my websites right now and have had so many issues with their “support” of their own product (even when I have SPENT money to buy something).  This last go-round with the support over there, I started digging for other ecommerce software… someone on the Creloaded forums mentioned that they couldnt wait for Magento to come out, and that was when I went hunting for what exactly Magento was.  And… here I am! smile

I’m just glad to see that there are still people out there willing to help one another…

Every time you ask someone for help over at Creloaded you either get a smart a@@ remark or you get someone saying “Use the donation button on my website first”....  it’s really annoying… smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

seoguy

Total Posts:  46

Hi All,

I love Magento but I have to say that the attributes system really does need to be relooked at.  I understand that the way it is set up suppose to allow for maximum flexibility, but unfortunately that means Magento is really for small stores with very few products.  Can you imagine having to do these steps with over a 1000 products?  I have about 256 products and each can be customized to have personalized tags (26 choices of tags) then the customer has to be able in a text field to write what, in my case, their names in one text box and their wedding date in another.  That means for my store of 256 products I have to create 6656 products not including the two text boxes. 

It would be far better if I could just create the attribute and assign it to products that use it (like creloaded does).  I understand that Magento is not designed that way.  It may be that Magento is the best choice of shopping carts for straight products, but a pass if you have configurable products.  But I hope not!

Chris

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lior
Magento Team

Hi Chris,

For the original upload it can be a good idea to use the Import tool in he admin.
As for adding new products that just a variation of the existing one, you always can use the duplicate functionality on the edit simple product page.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Baybee

Sounds exactly like what I was saying there!  For the record, I can not get my attribute set to even show up (after following the webcast on configurable products over and over and doing it step by step how it was done there)… Anyways, having one product and being able to apply attributes to products instead of products to attributes seems the most logical which is what is stopping me right now.  I dont see any way I will be able to add my 1000+ products from one of my websites since I apparently have to have 2 products for each to make the attributes do what I need them to do.

Then I have the other website where I’m going to run into the exact issues as you are… (input of information from the customer:  ie. dates/names, etc.)… Several of my products on my other website have 4 or 5 different attributes for the customer to choose different options for the item. 

Anyways, I hope this gets a little simplified in future versions.  I love the layout and the ease of design, but the admin portion seems a bit difficult.

Are there any plans to put out a manual or documentation once the full released version of Magento comes out, explaining all the different aspects and what everything is for or does?

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Are there any plans to put out a manual or documentation once the full released version of Magento comes out, explaining all the different aspects and what everything is for or does?

A book is in the works and expected after the 1.0 release.

Magento Community
Magento Community

gamelodge

Total Posts:  89
Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Look at how CS-cart.com does the options thing, its very easy to understand and use, maby something like that would work?

Magento Community
Magento Community

DailyLunatic

Total Posts:  39
Oklahoma City, OK

RoyRubin - 05 February 2008 08:33 PM

Great.  Is there a pre-release sign up?  I’d love to reserve a copy.
Assuming the cost is anywhere near my budget.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tomas Kapler

Total Posts:  14

I got the same problem as the others with configurable products. I have only few hundrets of products, but some of them have up to 5 options with up to 5 different settings. So e.g. if i would have 100 products with 5 options with 5 settings, it meens to put into shop 100×5×5 = 2500 products! 25 times more. Plus I need to make 100 configurable products. So it would be 2600. Adding e.g. one extra settings (e.g. new material or color) mean to add other 500 products. That’s stupid and is one of my biggest blocks agains magento.

The second one are the vendors - Magento is probably the only system I know, which do not count with vendors. The vendor can only be made as an option. But that’s useless! Vendors are something like categories (in most systems, they are exactly the same as categories, sometimes with only one difference that you can have only one vendor but multiple categories). I need to give vendor it’s description, its website, its logo ... and i need to show a vendor page - list of (category) products made by that particular vendor, plus his description and that other informations. Plus it is a big problem when i need to connect it to some accounting/warehouse system, where vendor is always a special field from database, not just some variable.

And the third (but not last) big problem seem to be the URL’s (but maybe it improves with the last version but i have not yet found how it works) - i need to play with addresses - e.g. for one shop I need scheme like
example.com/category/
example.com/category/subcategory/
example.com/category/subcategory/product
example.com/vendor

for other shop i need
example.com/category/
example.com/subcategory/
example.com/product
vendor.example.com

And i doubt that Magento now supports this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Baybee

gamelodge - 05 February 2008 08:45 PM

Look at how CS-cart.com does the options thing, its very easy to understand and use, maby something like that would work?

That would work.  Can apply the attribute to each product instead of creating multiple of the same product with different options to create a configurable product as the end result.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Baybee

RoyRubin - 05 February 2008 08:33 PM

Great....  look forward to seeing that.  Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 3 of 3