Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 3
Config Products with diff size AND diff price

AnnaM
Guru

Total Posts:  325
San Francisco

Well I am almost there now, it does show the 3 saucepans and price in dropdown, but if you try to add 1 it says Max Qty is 0
AND
when you go to the page before, the thumb where you would select Saucepans, it insists on a price being there when I setup the config product. So I put 0.00 and its happy, but it looks stupid
http://www.epicurecookware.com/ruffoni-copper/ruffoni-opera

I think I am close, thanks to new bee (are you really a newbie? smile but stifled by these last two things, it insisting on a price for config prod, and saying that 0 is the most you can buy.  Hard to makemuch money that way LOL

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Lior
Magento Team

Total Posts:  293

@AnnaM

Now you need to put check box for products that you want to associate to that product.
Once you select product you will have option to specify additional price for each one of the options

Magento Community
Magento Community

Baybee

Total Posts:  61

Anna,

Looks right… except for the $0.00 that is there before you choose which size.  But I tried adding it to my cart before choosing an option and it requires you choose one before adding to the cart, so you should be ok there.  For the SKU, use the manufacturers or create your own pot1 or something like that.  For my bisque Items, I use the mold number from the mold I use to pour the ceramic piece.  Your SKU can really be anything you want to use to identify that item. 

Did you try making the 1.25qt pot the configurable product and then putting the other 2 as it’s related products?  This would eliminate the $0.00 amount shown and show the price of the 1.25qt there. (I think) I am new to magento and just figuring it all out.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lior
Magento Team

@baybee

you do need to use configurable products, and create simple product for each option that you want to be available to the customers there is no other way to do it

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lior
Magento Team

@AnnaM

Better option for you is to give some base price, maybe the lowest one to the configurable product, and have option cost to be the amount that you want to add to the base price.
This way you will not have $0 on the product listing page.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Baybee

Lior - 04 February 2008 02:56 PM

@baybee

you do need to use configurable products, and create simple product for each option that you want to be available to the customers there is no other way to do it

Lior,

Would I create a simple product for the finished item then create the configurable product of the bisque (unpainted) and then associate the finished with the bisque product?  Would this be ok instead of creating a simple one for the bisque and finished then a configurable one to associate them with?

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

ok its all set as far as allowing adding each, thre is a Inventory tab on right and you tick Use config settings apparetnly.

I am not crazy about putting the cheapest price first on that thumb page, then having the other two show as +$x.xx Seems rather odd. Is this really the way we have to do it?  Customers don’t want to have to add numbers to find a price, they want it to say 2qt $164.95 or whatever, not do math.

This is shopping, not school. smile Julie wish I understood your thing better, might be able to advise, but am still trying to figure out why and how mine is owrking LOL I need to reverse engineer it.  I cannot use it this way anyway, like I said, customers dont do math, they shop and add to cart based on the price they see, not go looking for a calculator.

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

Baybee - 04 February 2008 03:04 PM

Lior - 04 February 2008 02:56 PM
@baybee

Lior,

Would I create a simple product for the finished item then create the configurable product of the bisque (unpainted) and then associate the finished with the bisque product?  Would this be ok instead of creating a simple one for the bisque and finished then a configurable one to associate them with?

this thing i don’t like, the + x may be just right for you. DIdn’t youwant an additional fee if you hand paint it? If so , this method sounds ideal, but its worthless for specifiying prices of various size stockpots, or saucepans etc.  Sure wish somebody from Magento would show up and answer some of these questions.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lior
Magento Team

Julie,

I would probably create two simple products with attribute “Painted” one with value Yes and another with No
Then create a configurable product and associate these two products to it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Baybee

Hey Anna,

I think your’s was doing exactly what you wanted it to though… It was showing the price of the pot in your pull down, not +x.  I thought it was when I looked at it.  I am sorry I cant help you more on it.  I think I’m trying to simplify it too much for the current state that magento is in, after all, it’s not near ready for production use and maybe with time, they will simplify some of the things.

As for Magento… I think Lior is from the Magento team…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lior
Magento Team

Anna,

The moment customer selects an attribute from the dropdown , the product price gets update so they really do not have to calculate any thing

Magento Community
Magento Community

Baybee

Lior - 04 February 2008 03:21 PM

Julie,

I would probably create two simple products with attribute “Painted” one with value Yes and another with No
Then create a configurable product and associate these two products to it.

Thanks, Lior!  I will try it a few different ways and see what is going to work out the best.  Is there any talk of simplifying the configurable products for people in my situation with a product that a single attribute can apply to ALL products?

thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lior
Magento Team

Julie,

We idea behind doing it the way that it is now, is to allow maximum flexibility in how products can be created.
By doing it it the way that it is done now, you have more flexibility in how you can group and market your products.
You can make each one of the simple product visible on the front end as well as the configurable product

Magento Community
Magento Community

Baybee

Gotcha.  Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

Lior - 04 February 2008 03:00 PM

@AnnaM

Better option for you is to give some base price, maybe the lowest one to the configurable product, and have option cost to be the amount that you want to add to the base price.
This way you will not have $0 on the product listing page.

Lior, sorry I did not notice you were on the magento team. I apreciate your help.  Is this what I shoudl expect it to look like now?  Not sure I love it, but I guess its workable.  Is this how its supposed to be? Thx for your help

http://www.epicurecookware.com/catalog/product/view/id/9/s/ruffoni-opera-saucepans/category/5/

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 3